Hoops Recruiting (2011)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Mar 10, 2009.

1. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Agree 100% I'm not ready to give up on Stringer...People don't look at the fact that we didn't get a lot of offensive production down low so a lot of the opposing teams strategy was to focus up top... If Stringer was one of the 1 and done guys I can see being a disappointed but we knew last summer he wasn't going to be...He's 5'10 & was in the lower half of the top 100 HS kids... I think he did a little more then what he should have...Had a lot of turnovers as you would expect from a freshman pg but he averaged more the 10 ppg... I think the off season will be huge for Stringer, he now knows what he's up against, knows where he needs to improve and knows he's got a freshman pg who's going to push for playing time! I'm real excited about the pressure that Hickey will be able to put on opposing guards! and if he is able to use that quickness to get into that lane!

2. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

so how many state player of the years do we have now? one Louisiana State Player of the Year, one Mississippi State Player of the Year, and one Kentucky State Player of the Year? in addition to one McDonalds All-American?

nice to see Hickey brings more athleticism, leadership, and competitiveness to the team. pretty cool that he led his school to the 5A state championship game in both basketball as the point guard and in football as the quarterback

the ESPN recruiting profile for him said something similar: "A true point guard who does what it takes to win and make his teammates better."

of course, he himself said:

[​IMG]

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Morgan City's Shawn Long signed with Miss. St. last week. Very disappointed that LSU didn't go harder after a kid in their backyard.

5. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

A few things about Shawn Long & LSU...If you look at his youtube highlights, hes just average and that may be pushing it... If you take a look on the Miss St. boards even they are saying that Long is a project and will be red shirted...LSU is not in a place where we can give up scholarships to projects we need guys who are going to contribute next year... Even if he could contribute next year we signed a McDonald's All American at the same position that Long plays. The biggest need LSU has is in the back court which is why I think LSU didn't go after long and did pick up Anthony Hickey (a pretty good pg) last week. Hope that takes away some of your disappointment

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Agreed. Sorry to not jump on this sooner, but for those "damned if you do or damned if you don't" LSU fans, it's hard to keep every kid in LA, particularly if they are "borderline" SEC talent. Especially when folks are crying for LSU to compete for McD AAs. Long was a kid that LSU scouted, was on pretty early, but didn't make an offer to. As MrGreen says, with a log jam of forwards and bigs on the roster next year, the focus is finding some bigs in the 2012 class....

As for the guy we did sign, I'm happy to report that the KY-IN All Star game was this past couple of days, and well, Anthony Hickey surprised me.

Marquis Teague nails game-winning shot | Jody Demling - Recruiting

Remember, Hickey Jr. was an afterthought as an invitee to the game, coming on late in his Sr year and gaining an invite I think after another kid dropped out?

In any case, the kid led the KY all-stars in a close loss to the IN all star team with some quality Div 1 signees on both squads (more on the IN team). Despite not being able to get a winning shot off, Hickey hit a big 3 to tie the game at 100-100. Ultimately, his line looked pretty good for a future LSU point guard...

19 points, eight assists and six steals.

I understand that he's enrolling/enrolled for LSU summer classes. Welcome to Tigertown, Anthony Hickey Jr.!!! :thumb:

:geauxtige:geauxtige:bball::bball::bball:

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Some rumors from the other board about Felix & Gathers: