Hoops Recruiting (2010)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Hey, it's been way too long.

With the men's team showing DRASTIC attitude and play improvement, I wonder if recruits are starting to notice. YOU WILL IMPROVE under this staff's tutelage.

This season will hopefully help recruiting in a big way for 2009 and beyond. Recently, more news came out from Rivals on Phil Pressey. Apparently CTJ has been in the stands watching his games ... often. Apparently this kid who can penetrate into the lane at will, has been improving his outside shot. WATCH OUT!

Way to geaux, Trent!

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=890095

2. TGer'nLHornLand

Rivals just put up a nice little piece about PF/C target Tobi Oyedeji up. Talks about the fact that he's interested in LSU now b/c of CTJ. Sounds like a versatile forward that's not the answer in terms of the big enforcer we need down low, but consider him the step in replacement for Tas' Mitchell...

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=895813

Also note that Rivals has had some video of 2010 LA SF target, Matt Derenbecker up for a while now. About 65% of the video is Matt draining the three. Nice stroke and pretty fluid... needs to work on a quicker release. But, I didn't realize the kid was a lefty. Could be an interesting prospect if he can broaden his game and work on his drive and passing.

:geauxtige BE PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Johnson appears to have this program on the right track.

4. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

I'd really like Tobi-O and his 7-5 wingspan to play along a guy like Pressey. That would be a great combo.

As for Derenbrecker, I hear different things about him. He scored 49 points against Kenny Boynton's team recently. However, I have a friend who is very close to the LA basketball circuit who swears the game was a fluke and that Derenbrecker is not good at all. I think I'd take Galloway and Brian WIlliams over him at this point.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Touche'. Look, I don't think Derenbrecker is someone that ole' CJB and BP would look too hard at, but everything I've read and seen on him is that he's a tremendous shooter. While not the most athletic, let's not forget what a guy like JJ Reddick can do for your team (and JJ didn't develop as much as an all round player until his Jr year). Not saying that Matt is the second coming of JJ, but the kid has a very smooth stroke from 3 with good range, and as you have seen so far from CTJ's system, if you have a good solid PG who knows what he's doing, and players that can pass the ball, a shooter who can drain the 3 is very nice to have. You have to evaluate whether you think that Matt can get quicker and stronger with the right training regimen, but he's certainly not a bad player, when he averages like 26 points in his sophomore year.

As for some of the other names you've raised, I do think that CTJ is going to have some recruiting decisions to make in '10, with such a guard heavy LA to mine. In addition to Galloway (who is certainly the top target still in LA), and Brian Williams (a better athlete and better slasher than Matt), you can't forget Pat Swilling Jr. either. This kid has got offers from GA Tech, USC and LSU now, and Rivals has got another piece on the kid up just recently...

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=896653

I think what Trent is thinking is recruiting Swilling and Galloway as combo guards, so if you can land Pressey, you've got versatility in the backcourt. If you miss out on Pressey, Galloway or Swilling can play PG/SG. Williams is your prototypical SG and Derenbrecker is actually more of a SF at 6'6". But, as Trent has said, he wants kids that want to be at LSU. There's no harm in giving offers to these kids that meet his criteria. Come 2009 summer, the kids that are serious about LSU will start to take interest and commit.

:geauxtige

6. TGer'nLHornLand

More continues to come out about 2010 recruits. First, in revisiting ESPN's top60 for 2010, low and behold I come to find that Matt Derenbrecker has made his way onto this list. That's a little surprising considering Langston Galloway is no longer on such list.

But, also look at what the new evaluation of MD seems to say...

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recr.../ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&season=2010

Could CTJ and others see more in this kid, than some of the naysayers?

It's also nice to note that LSU seems to be out there and after several of these guys, including Phil Pressey (who we all know), Jelan Kendrick (another very highly touted SG/SF out of GA), in addition to Toby O, Galloway, etc. Could be a tremendous class if things go LSU's way. But, still no big BIG man on the horizon here.

7. Puffdaddy#1

Puffdaddy#1 Freshman

Trent is also looking into Lafayette. Northside High Super Sophomore Nick Syrie. He is 5'10 lefty who shoots with both hands and averages around 15ppg and 7asst. He is a stud! :thumb:

8. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

I would think CTJ would put getting a center as a priority for the spring signing period, and if not, maybe he feels real good about Harris or Green, but even then you would like to have at least one new post player coming in next year.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

Let's not forget about local kid, Brian Williams out of Glen Oaks, the BR high school powerhouse that produced our own Bo Spencer.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/38738617.html?showAll=y&c=y

Williams is a very nice all-round SG that's not gotten a ton of pub, but would be a nice solid pick-up. This Mchee kid could also be on the radar...

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. SOAK IN THE 100 YEARS.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

Rivals continues to update its hoops pieces. They finally have added Langston Galloway's video to the mix:

http://lsu.rivals.com/default.asp?type=4

Now, from what I can tell, Galloway is a nice smooth player. Not blazing quickness, but a nice fluid guard at 6'2". He does epitomize "combo" guard though, with a decent jumper and nice enough handles to get to the hoop--but, he's not your super quick PG, neither is he your tall lean, lights out SG. But, if you like what 6'2" Bo Spencer has been able to do in the SEC, odds are good that Langston can do similar things.

HOWEVER, I'd like to see what he can do against a non-small school league. The tape largely shows him having his way against less athletic, smaller teams. No doubt, the kid can play, though, and is a hometown guy, Trent would love to come to LSU. Galloway, just commit early to Trent!

:geauxtige BE A PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.