Hoops Recruiting (2010)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 27, 2008.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

recruits coming in. even if bass is a good defensive guard he is still a liability on O (even moreso than GT was). i think if dotson finds a shot bo may take point away from bass. or if stringer comes in and is better.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Miller's father said he will not be visiting UF this week so he and his son can take in the LSU trip.

Looking very good for LSU and we should know within days.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Miller is announcing his decision at his basketball game tonight.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

IT'S OFFICIAL! K-C ROSS MILLER has committed to LSU, according to Tigerbait:

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1051027

While this has likely been expected since Miller's visit, it shouldn't be overlooked. Here is yet another top 150 recruit, and quite frankly a SECOND solid point guard who has committed to Trent Johnson.

"Basically I chose LSU because I like Coach Johnson so much," said Ross-Miller. It's nice to hear a PG recruit pick LSU for the head coach, for a change eh? :lol:

Serious though, I probably would have liked to see LSU focus it's recruiting efforts on a big man, given that we have Stringer and only one open schollie left. BUT, I think that in today's college ball and fair to say SEC in general, guard play is essential, and probably more of a equalizer if you have outstanding guard play and average to good inside play, versus outstanding inside play and average guard play. What K-C brings is a little bit more size at the PG spot, and a little bit of a different feel to that spot than Andre. Miller relies more on dribble penetration and finishing at the rim, and also has a knack for finding open players on the way to the hoop. He's not as dead on from 3 land as Stringer is, so it will be a nice change of pace between the two of them. Miller is likely the better perimeter defender at this stage too, which is something the Tigers need greatly. You can definitely see both Stringer and Miller vying for PT at the PG spot next year, and honestly down the road, could give LSU the option to go small and have both on the floor at the same time.

A lot of YouTube video of Miller out there, for those that want free scouting material...

YouTube - KC Ross-Miller video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60X6Mwk9JQ&feature=related

It's a nice pick up and likely to move LSU up one or two spots in the final recruiting standings. Despite a difficult season, you have to give Trent props for what he's trying to build in 2010. :thumb:

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Just keeping in mind that it's high school hoops playoffs time, this link recently posted the playoff game between Mississippi high schools Forest Hill (Andre Stringer's team) against Provine (Jalen Courtney's team). Good footage of the players, who star for their respective teams, but Andre is on a less deep team, which means he's doubled teamed most of the night. He shows off a little bit of the dribble and dish, and is a pretty tough athlete.

Jalen actually impresses me here. Some touch on his shot down low and a pretty physical kid. At 6'7-8", he's fairly solid now and seems pretty athletic on the block. He's throws it down a little and seems like he's a little bit of a cross between Storm Warren (similar 6'7" PF mold) and Eddie Ludwig, who might be able to take it little farther away from the hoop a little earlier than Storm. Not sure if Trent thinks it wise to redshirt Courtney, but with another 10-15 pounds, this kid could be pretty scary physically as a 6'7" ish slasher SF/PF for LSU, with a little refinement in his dribble and intermediate jumpshot.

http://www2.wjtv.com/jtv/sports/local/article/class_5a_playoffs_provine_61_forest_hill_49/109172/

6. TGer'nLHornLand

Not to leave our own LA signee out, Time Pic had a great article on Matt Derenbecker earlier this week. I think there are a lot of folks out there that underestimate this kid, but there's no shortage of kids on Trent's team that can pass, shoot and do the little things. I think you're going to see an immediate help with Turner and Derenbecker on the wing.

LSU signee Matt Derenbecker leads Country Day by example | - NOLA.com

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/ne...s-country-day-to-69-53-win-over-white-castle/

If you watch the Ole MIss game back on ESPN, Mark Gottfried, former coach of Alabama and a recognized good recruiter over his years for the Tide spoke very highly of Ralston Turner of Alabama and Andre Stringer (compared him to Devan Downey) of Mississippi.

7. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Some question the level of competition in Country Day's district but they have held their own against teams in bigger classifications and have done well in out of state tournaments.

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Man. My kingdom for a big body. Don't get me wrong - I love the fact he's going after talent. But it's been awhile since LSU had a reasonably competent/physical big man.

10. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Yeah, but when's the last time we had a plethora of pure shooting and scoring guards?

Keep in mind, Malcolm White will be an instant starter next year. Him and Storm, with Dennis coming off the bench, isn't that bad of a frontcourt.