Hoops Recruiting (2010)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 27, 2008.

1. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

2. jgordey3

jgordey3 Founding Member

I know patrick and went to school with him for 3 years @ newman mand his house is big :grin: but also he was nice back then but I don't know about know since that was a long time ago

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Agree. At some point, though, this becomes an interesting strategy (i.e., the 80-90% of kids come from LA). Because even then, not every good kid is going to want to stay close to home.

But, the 2010 class at this point seems to be guard heavy. Galloway, Armelin, Labato, now Swilling? And you know you can't get them all. They all seem like very good prospects though, and we should be happy to get even some of them. I agree with the Trent strategy, though. Show all of the LA kids the love and make them feel welcome at LSU. Offers have to go, though, to kids that are serious about the school.

I personally like what Swilling brings to the table. First off he's probably a great athlete with good "lines" and if USC offered, he was good enough to impress ole' Timmy. But, more importantly, he's a son of a NFL guy and LA guy at that. Good character (hopefully) and a good head on his shoulders about the pro game hopefully follows. Reminds me of the kind of kids (Noah, Horford, etc.) that made Florida so good--kids that weren't rushed to go pro, and pretty serious about the game.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

Ok, this is kind of a tangent, but I'm going to go off on this topic a little--LSU HOOPS camps. So, it's clear to me that these kids use these camps as a chance to see a school, play with the players, and get to meet and see the coaching staff. But, why haven't all of us recruiting diehards heard more about these camps at LSU? We certainly follow them religiously for football.

Brady and Butch. I think, did use these camps (I know Brandon Mitchell got an offer coming out of the camp last year)? But if they did, it clearly wasn't publicized a lot. Perhaps it's going to be a bigger focus of the new staff? I mean clearly Trent is talking about all of these LA kids coming down to BR, going to camp so he can see them and see how they stack up. Presumably offers are given out then. If this is the case, we've got to be having a camp soon this summer right?

5. TGer'nLHornLand

This is a few days late, but there are a couple of tidbits coming out of the GBOA South hoops event in Georgia a few days back.

Many of the names in the south include Jalen Kendrick and Donte Williams, 2010 recruits who have LSU on the radar. It's pretty early for a lot of these kids, but it's good to see some mention of GA kids still interested in Tigertown.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=822379

Also former recruits of LSU, like Lorenzo Brown, are cementing their choices...

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Anyone hear of C or PF BJ West out of Texas?

Headed to Prep school this year and said he is hearing from LSU.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Not much other than he's playing for Texas Select's AAU team and apparently making some noise at the summer tourneys...

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825091

Also, for 2010, don't say that CTJ is only sticking to LA recruits. The GA kids are also getting the love. A new name is Jordan McRae, a 4-star SG who plays for the Atlanta Celtics who's been contacted by LSU. Certainly CTJ knows that he's got to keep his fingers in GA and TX to be successful.

http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=70399

I also see a very different pattern in recruiting forming here. Clearly the CTJ staff is going after guards. For 2010, they've contacted Langston Galloway, Armelin, Labato, Swilling (all LA), Anthony Johnson (IL), Jordan McRae (GA). You can never have too many good guards who can shoot and dictate an offense and it may signal a move away from the big man dominated game so well known at LSU. Rather, skilled taller, thinner big men (like Dennis Harris, Chris Johnson) to run along side our athletic guards?

I'm gettin' exciting thinking about the possibilities!
    :geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.

8. artichokes

Here's a two-sport guy that says he is all-LSU

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=826139

9. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

SF J.J. Thomas out of Scotlandville says LSU is the early team to beat.

10. artichokes