Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

So would Chris Bass be a part of this years class with Warren, Graham, and Harris?

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

3. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Damn, getting Jordan and Bass would be a good start, who knows what will happen.

4. bhelmLSU

Transfers might be the way to go with most of the talent already committed. Here is another guy 6'5 guard asking for a release from Memphis.

Unhappy with playing time, Mack leaving Tigers - ncaa - SI.com

5. bhelmLSU

6. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

That's really cool that transfers are looking at us. LSU is an attractive destination because the chance to start is pretty high with most of our players leaving after this year.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yes, it is cool that transfers are looking at LSU. Depth at guard and the big "age" gap between Temple's class and Bo Spencer's class is kind of troubling (again, Brady? :angryfire :po: :cuss:).

But, I'll be the one to say, I'm not too sure that transfers have traditionally panned out for the Tigers. :wave: Most recently you have Dameon Mason, who was also a top high school recruit, who left Marquette and never quite got it going. Mack sounds like a similar kind of talent. Denied admission to Florida? Couldn't cut it at Memphis? Yes, I know Memphis is like the NBA one and done school, but still. Kid not willing to hit the weight room and put in the time? Father in the picture asking for more PT? Sounds a little like Magnum Rolle to me.:insane:

I don't know the ability of either Johnson or Mack, so I won't say whether we should be after these guys hard or not. But, sometimes I'd rather take the time to nurture a talented high school kid and let 'em grow in the system. Granted, I know we're looking at having potentially Bo Spencer and Alex Farrer be our starting guards next year :cry:, so a more mature transfer may make sense... but remember, they're transferring for a reason. :huh:

8. bhelmLSU

I agree with you that transfers are not a way to build a program up but where we stand as far as recruiting at this time with no one out there to fill spots we need filled for this coming season.

I look at Mack as a one and done guy as well because he likely will not get much playing time until the middle of his junior year and a kid who has been in the college game for 2 years could be beneficial.

Quick fix for this year and focus on getting those guys in to build the system around.

That brings up a good question. What is Johnson's track record in regards to bringing in transfers in his previous jobs?

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

werent roland and smith transfers? i cant remember, maybe jucos.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Jucos I think (Lamont was definitely). Not transfers. I look at JUCOs in a different way. These are guys that had the sense to mature academically and in sports by going somewhere to develop. A transfer went to a school where he had issues, probably didn't like his situation, and now wants to leave and start over.

Don't get me wrong. I think if we sign either Johnson or Mack to add depth in our backcourt for '09-'11, I'm ok with it, but I'm not estatic about it. I'd rather see CTJ out there hustling to get a great class signed in '09.

Btw, this reported today in the Advocate. Alot of the same news, but some interesting stats and quotes about/from the Bass family. Looks like first off, Chris averaged 16 pts and 8 assists at Lee Academy (I like the assists figure). Second, looks like Brandon Bass has been "working" with LSU for a while now and it seems like CTJ is the one that made the turn and closed the deal (seems like Butch didn't really push for Bass). Funny how recruiting goes eh? In any case, the Bass family is happy and so am I. :wink: I also liked the fact that Chris picked up schollie offers from a few schools, including 'Bama. Clearly people thought he had talent.

2theadvocate.com | Sports | Capitol's Bass commits to LSU — Baton Rouge, LA

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.