Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. GEAUX TIGERS

GEAUX TIGERS Founding Member

DD reported that Morgan asked for his release from CTJ. He is probably headed to UCLA.

2. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I suppose his value went up after the underclassmen committed to the NBA Draft. I sure wouldn't release him. If the NCAA wanted to step in and change their rules fine. But the rule is there for a purpose.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I don't mind him leaving but this is BS. There's not an ounce of truth to this and if there is, our bball program has much bigger problems.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

"I was shocked," said Johnson when he read about that, "because he's a very neat kid. On the other hand, this is not my first rodeo. There is no state of panic."

"Regardless," he stressed, "I want guys who want to be here. This is LSU. This is the first time I've been in a situation where the recruiting pool is this large. I'm building a program, and I want to do so with guys who want to be here."

good answer ctj

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Scouts final 100 for 2008 is out.

PF Greg Monroe at #8 who is headed to Georgetown and the other LA guy on the list is #73 PF Terrance Henry who committed to Miss St.

C J'Mison Morgan #23

LSU commit PF Delwan Graham is #72

Question for Hornland and others:

I noticed that the #17 rated prospect is C Rashanti Harris is still undecided. He is out of Mississippi and LSU is listed as one of his finalist.
    Are we going after him to make up for the loss of Morgan and what are our chances with him?

http://louisianastate.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=2&c=755804

7. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Last year when they were picking the Team USA guys he was a hot name but I dont know what happened. It seems as if very few teams are recruiting him. Maybe he has personal or grade issues?

And notice while the SEC only had one McDonald's All American they lead the way with the most signees out of the top 100.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Good question. I actually wondered that myself a week ago when Rivals150 came out, and Rashanti is perhaps the top unsigned prospect.

Actually, from all the reports I see, he doesn't qualify academically and it's likely that he has to go the JUCO route. LSU was on him early, but it became clear that the guy wasn't going to qualify. Here's ESPN's take:

ESPN - Rashanti Harris Rankings, Grade, News, Stats - College Basketball Recruiting 2008

It is interesting though, b/c the kid's from MS and is clearly most interested in SEC schools. You've got to wonder what a CTJ and new staff rollin' through Mississippi does for a lot of these kids. Brady and Butch weren't doing so hot in Mississippi in the last few years, and Kennedy and Stansbury have been formidable in terms of keeping that state more locked up. BUT, Stansbury really had a rocky few years with players coming and going and Kennedy, while a likeable coach, doesn't have the street cred as CTJ.

It's too bad that he doesn't qualify, b/c Morgan's leaving does give us some room. Although, at this stage, I'm a little less concerned about finding another big b/c Tas' has got two years left. When you consider we have Chris Johnson, Tas', and a bunch of younger guys with OK size coming back, I'm more interested in maybe finding a good "diamond in the rough" guard or a maybe an unsigned JUCO PG or off guard to give us more consistent shooting and depth from the outside.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, it's probably appropriate to close the book on the J'Mison Morgan chapter of this year's class.

At a press conference today, he announced that he's signing with UCLA...

ESPN - J'Mison Morgan Rankings, Grade, News, Stats - College Basketball Recruiting 2008

It's a sad state of affairs, in some respects how recruits really keep programs in the lurch and take them for a spin, but you can understand why it happens when coaches change and players bolt to the NBA... In any case, UCLA's class is a solid #1 now and LSU's class takes a step back. Time will tell how LSU adapts.

Our big men on the horizon really slim out now, as next year's biggest target, Keith Gallon, has also recently come out saying that Mississippi State is his leader--which is surprising to say the least. Why a TX kid, going to Oak Hill, would pick Miss St is beyond me.

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I'm sure turbulence after a coaching change is common. This situation just stinks, though.

I've decided to hate UCLA. Perhaps vBall can provide some expert advice on that.