Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

We really need a win tomorrow. We need Big Willie. ;)

2. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Kiss any chance of landing Warren goodbye. He will want to join the exciting, up-tempo, 3pt shooting team in Arkansas of LSU's boring style of play.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

You could be right, or he could realize that LSU has no guards and a lot of other horses... he can play RIGHT away :hihi: . We may not get Warren, but I actually don't think that he'll go to Arkansas. I just don't see Heath being a coach to take them to the next level... this ain't Nolan's Hogs...

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

5. TGer'nLHornLand

Thanks for the news.... I also couldn't read the article, and it's probably not a good character note, but not sure what it means. These kids these days move around constantly switching from school to school.

what's more troubling is an article on the Rivals site... http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=634337. it is something that I alluded to earlier in the year, our power forward spot has been weak, and when you consider we not only could have had Neltner but also Kentrell Gransberry (who to my surprise is averaging a double double at USF), we have had some unfortunate transfers.

It's something to consider as Brady tries to build a national contender... you always have folks that are afraid they won't get PT, but I think Brady's got to learn to not only recruit well, but then play his bench and give them hope that they'll play if they stick it out and improve.

As for the '07-'08 class, I wonder if losing Tyler would be a good or bad thing. Obviously, he's a 7 footer and would instant give size to the team. But, there are also other 4 star guys on the frontline who might get some looks, like Oshoalu, in addition to Monroe. Tyler was also considered somewhat of a project.

As the world turns....

6. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

I can't shed much light on the Tyler situation, but I do have a Scout subscription. The story just says that he and another player Karron Johnson are no longer at Patterson due to violating a school rule. Here's what their coach said:

``Both of them made a mistake that they regret," Patterson coach Chris Chaney said. "But they are still two of the most respectful kids that I've ever been around." Johnson was on the high school team while Tyler was averaging about seven points per game for the nationally ranked prep school squad.

In other news, I also looked up Olu Ashaolu. From an article on Dec. 20, it sounds like LSU is no longer in the mix for him. His brother Sam was one of the 5 players at Duquesne that were shot back in September. Olu says his priorities in life has changed as a result, and he will be going to college closer to his family in Toronto. Hope things work out well for him and his brother.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Ok, so not a lot of new news to report, but obviously the news this week with Tack makes an impact. A couple of recruiting notes to ponder (and kick myself over).

First, if you could see the writing on the wall with Tack, or have some forethought, why oh why would the staff back off recruiting Jai Lucas this year!? Now, it appears that he's the best or one of the best unsigned PGs available for next year, and since LSU had "backed off" him, he's looking hardest at OK, Kentucky, Maryland, OK State. Doh! :sob: True, we have another Houston PG TM Griffin coming in, but we need help sooner than 2009.

Second, LSU opens up a new schollie for either next year's '08 class or perhaps someone they can sign this spring, either which could work in its favor. This leaves 3 or 4 '08 guys signable next year depending on what Big Baby does. We've got James Tyler, and room for Monroe, Shipman, Brown, Warren, etc. Another name to throw in the mix may be Marcus Thornton, a '07 Juco SG in Texas that's gotten some press, and apparently is being pursued by LSU. A 6-3 physical scoring SG who can hit the 3 and score in other ways.... Do we assume the backcourt is set with Temple, Martin, Mason and Voogd? Or, do we turn up the heat for '07 guards? :shock:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=635445.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

So.... forget about Jai Lucas! :) :cry: :redface:

Marcus ThorNton is the name... More on hoops recruiting from the Advocate.

First off, we all know we'd love to get another guard in here. As mentioned before, the loss of Tack could be a blessing in disguise, as the team could get an injection of talent at guard, if a late season recruiting miracle can be pulled off. Clearly ThorNton is a scoring guard, but may be able to help in ways that Temple, Voogd and Martin can't. Regardless, it looks like here's another LA kid (much like Oliver Lafayette) who was at Tara and now is being pursued very heavily out of a TX JUCO. Let's hope that Thorton wants lots of PT and wants to come back home, b/c he'll get it at LSU.

As for other recruits, Randolph, Shipman and Mason-Griffin are all highlighted in this update...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/5800321.html

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. KEEP THE FAITH.

1 person likes this.
  9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

what?! two thorntons? i am just getting over having two mitchell's. maybe butch can go somewhere and find another voogd.

any idea why we never look at players in AL? you'd think cjb would have ties there. maybe pissed everybody off?

10. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Would be tough for Brady to come into Alabama and steal recruits. Gottfried may not be the best coach in the nation, but he is one hell of a recruiter...

Getting Gerald Wallace and keeping Richard Hendrix from going to UNC are good examples of that...