Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Gonne be very interesting to see how Johnson handles all of these guys.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, you know, this is exciting...

TRENT JOHNSON ON RECRUITING:

On keeping players in state...
    “Recruiting is building relationships and sustaining relationships and hard work. There’s no question that I, along with the staff, have to do an excellent job, not a good job of keeping the in state players home. As soon as I get through with today, I’m going to be off and running.

On if he sees any advantages coming from the Pac-10 to the SEC...
    “... Here, you have a distinct advantage in that you can recruit a variety of players. That’s the thing for me. At Stanford, I was limited. At one position in any given year we probably had five players we could recruit who could get into school and compete at a high level. Here, you might have 15 at one position. So that’s the biggest difference. It’s what excites me the most.

On if he sees it as a challenge recruiting in the southeast...
    “I don’t want to say I’m not familiar with this part of the country because at Stanford you recruit nationally and at Rice you’re in Houston. When I was an assistant at Utah if a kid was a heck of a player like Watkins Singletary from New York, I wasn’t concerned with what anyone else was doing, I was concerned about my ability to go recruit that kid and that’s what it’s about – the relationships. It’s just about going back and talking and communicating to people and then having assistant coaches who are from this are, and that all takes time. For me as a head coach I have not a good sell, but an excellent sell. This is the institution in the state of Louisiana. My goodness, there are enough players to go around. We’ve just got to stop all the great ones from going somewhere else and stay here. That’s what the goal is.

Dude, I'm geeked geeked geeked :thumb:

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL (AGAIN). WELCOME TO THE JOHNSON ERA.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Heard Harris reaffirmed his commitment to Coach Johnson.

ANyone else hearing the same?

4. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

5. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Gallon's out, too.

6. jgordey3

jgordey3 Founding Member

so we're not on either of these guy's lists now is there anyone who's list we have entered now as a result of the hire?

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

im still wondering about the 4star stanford recruit from Austin

8. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

Jeremy Green? Wouldnt be surprised if Johnson tries to get him here.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

You know I saw TMG's decommitment, and it surprises me a little bit. It's not surprising that he decommitted b/c the coaches that recruited him are no longer here (does that bode poorly for Butch staying? :rolleye33:), but it surprises me that it's John Brady that Tommy is decommiting for.

Afterall, John B has not yet shown a penchant for developing a point guard, whereas Trent Johnson has Brevin Knight to his name, as well as other guards. That leads me to believe that perhaps, Tommy Mason Griffin was expecting to be the annointed starter, and spoiled starter at that (sounds a little like the Tack Minor situation all over again?), and perhaps playin' in Trent Johnson's system wouldn't have suited him? Not sure what that says about TMG. Nevertheless, the kid's talented, and he's got all the Big 12 schools are movin' in.

It is a shame. But, I have a feeling that Trent's got some inroads on some other guard options. One in particular is a three star combo PG, Marshall Henderson, who also hails from TX and who had Stanford as one of his finalists. http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=60550.

It's going to be interesting how Trent really settles in, and what kind of players he attracts. I have a feeling that he may get a mix of more athletic guys than he had at Stanford, but more intelligent player than the usual here.

10. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

What happen to the 08-09 thread? I must agree and was wondering the same thing. In the article he TMG said Brady and BP will not be there, does he know something we don't? And I think Brevin Knight got drafted in the late 90's But Johnson has to have a better track record with PG's then brady. I'm not really worried about the 09 class cause C. Johnson has a year to make up for anyone who d/commits. I hope the 08 class stays and so far it looks like thats the case with Bobo Morgan being the only question mark.

On the 09 recruiting trail i hope we get in with this guy
    http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=44564
    he just moved up to 4 stars, LSU is still on his list and the things that are said about him are the same things people said about Delwan Graham, his motor never stops and he plays on both ends of the court
    http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=788848

NBA1 what you got for us?

also looked up a few stats on this guy
    http://lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=76881
    Midway through last season he was putting up 25ppg 7rpg and 3 apg but it sounds like he could be another M. thornton in the making but maybe taller (i really think MT is only 6'2, 6'3 at the most)