Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Just so folks have it, positive reports continue to fall out of the UCONN game this past Saturday night. I didn't get to post about it after the game, but obviously, it was a big win. Largely b/c it's one of those games which WAS hyped in the media (many Brady naysayers will tell you that Brady can't win big games when the pressure's on) and even though LSU was technically the underdog, they were on Gameday, there was a good crowd pumped up for the game, and ... from a recruiting front, it doesn't hurt to have recruits at the game.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/5116696.html?showAll=y&c=y

Greg Monroe and several LA recruits for '08 and '09 attended the game and saw what many in the nation are just starting to realize...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC.

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Given Monroe is considering LSU, Duke, Kansas, UNC, and UCONN, would you consider LSU's losing him to any one of those four basketball powers a major recruiting loss?

Or would you expect it given the tradition of those other four programs relative to LSU's?

I just need to know how I should feel when one of those other programs gets his signature.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Are you always this negative?

4. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Tiger Educated, is that you?

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUDeek

Usually, but more so when it comes to the basketball program

6. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I've noticed. You watch that UConn game? Maybe you should try lightening up on that position.

7. LSUDeek

If I were confident that Magnum and Tack could play to that level every game, I'd feel differently.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Wow, never dodge an opportunity to blast the program, and when you're feeling extra good, you blast the players too? :redface:

Seriously, we get some life out of Magnum an I'd prefer to commend. The kid is a sophomore, and probably starting to feel better from his serious back injury--I'd prefer to say, nice job getting some rebounds and blocking shoots. Tack as well--7 points, three assists and no TOs. You give them some time... hopefully, it's signs of things to come.

But, you ask a fair question, so I'll try to give the honest answer. If Greg Monroe chooses to sign with UConn, Kansas, Duke or North Carolina over LSU, I'd say he's chosen to go out of state to be a part of a historied basketball program, all of whom have won championships, where all of the fans live and breathe college basketball over football. Each basketball game is played in front of packed crowds, the kids don't give a flyin' flip about football, and they camp out for games a week in advance. Is it an irrational choice? Not entirely. Is it a disappointing recruiting loss? Surely.

If your question is based upon a scale that asks the question, on a scale of 1 to 10 should it be considered a disappointment that LSU lost Monroe to one of the above (10 being most disappointed), I'd probably say I'm at an 8. I'm an 8, b/c Greg Monroe is a talented home-grown kid, who could make a huge difference at LSU, much like Stromile Swift did--perhaps the kind of guy that can take your top 15 class and make it a top 5 class. I'd say it's even more of a disappointment b/c first, he's a PF and LSU is arguably a better developer of NBA talent on the frontline than the others, certainly more than Duke and Kansas, arguable on North Carolina and UConn and second, the program is not NEARLY the risk as when Swift signed--we're a top 15-20 team for years to come, and building consistency. But, the reality is the Dukes, Kansas, UNC and UConn's of the world do this with hoops recruits in a lot of states across the country. And, another mitigating factor is this--if we lose out on Monroe, we have SEVERAL other players who are 4 star guys interested in LSU, and I believe we'll find a way to have a decent signing class. And, you've got to think that Monroe is a one or two and done guy. Who's to say that signing a few 4 star guys who stay 3 or 4 years for consistency is a bad thing? So, I would certainly be disappointed if LSU does not sign Monroe (an 8), but I recognize it's a possibility. I would also not hold it against the current program if we lost a recruit to those schools (losing DJ to Texas hurt probably more IMO).

I mean maybe the football equivalent is, how would you feel if McKnight signs with USC ... or worse yet, 'Bama? ... now, you feel the pain? :) That would probably be a 10.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC.

9. LSUDeek

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=2722865

I'll go ahead and let CJB do the talking on the career of Minor here. In today's Advocate which was not available online, he (and the rest of the team) talks about trying to motivate Magnum (I wouldn't expect such an article if the back injury were serious). It's been reported locally that the back injury was not as serious as we all thought.

Being positive is great, but it doesn't reflect reality all of the time.

As for comparing Monroe to McKnight, it simply isn't on the same stratosphere especially due to the respective scholarship limits of football and basketball, along with kids having to stay a mandatory 3 and often 4 years. Losing Monroe would simply be another in-state prospect lost, old news.

Maybe if we HAD been able to sign in-state kids that went to these big-time programs, we'd have our oun little tradition going.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

enlighten me. what instate guards should cjb have gotten to make the program like duke, kansas, uconn and unc. im not being sarcastic. at the moment i can only think of duhon and augustin. an neither of them count because duhon was during sanctions and augustin is a fr. i vaguely remember someone going to txt, maybe vandy, ga t? but since i dont have in mind several great guards that went to top10 teams, i cant say there have been any that would make you certain that they would make a big difference