Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Is that more LSU negativity coming out again from Deek? :) Of course my use of "thumping" is somewhat liberally used here--my point only being that A&M's loss last year must not have figured too much into Jordan's decision.

I don't think I'd put too much weight into these losses in recruits' minds. It's still largely a matter of do they think they can play, do they like the coaches and players, do they like the system, will it properly bring out their skills, etc. Now, if the losses are embarassing and consistent, then I'd start worrying...

2. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I love LSU. I dislike CJB as a person and as a coach and ascribe the lion's share of recent success to, in no particular order, the hiring of a proven Final Four assistant in John Treloar, Garrett Temple basically being way more than anyone ever could have foreseen, and having 3 NBA forwards come out of the Baton Rouge area. I think the word is out on this coaching staff, and I think that the widespread guard recruiting failures are proof positive of it.

3. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

(Double Post.)

4. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Stop complaining and enjoy the glory, Deek. You sound like a little spoiled rich kid that has everything but wants more. ;)

5. LSUDeek

:grin:

Seriously, shouldn't we be turning away kids after the Final Four?

I understand your POV. We can agree to disagree.

Every time I see Tack Minor stumble down the court and turn it over, I'll remember what might have been. :hihi:

6. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

I really pray to God that Terry Martin can give us a threat from the outside and hopefully he can guard too.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

While I'll acknowledge that CJB will his fair share of detractors as long as he lives, I guess I'm just more of a realist and, would like to think, fair judge of coaching talent. Been saying for many years that Brady was bringing gradual, but consistent improvement to the program. That has played out, when you consider STILL the number of SEC programs that have even MADE IT to the final four. This momentum continues next year ... as the Advocate reports today of an even TOUGHER non-conference schedule in '07-'08, with LSU playing in BOTH the MAUI Invitational AND the SEC/Big East Challenge (and... no Kentucky or Florida to be found ? :) ).http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/4924381.html

As for not being able to recruit guards, I'm not writing the staff off yet. We'll probably sign one pretty good guard next year, and in the following year, we'll probably sign two. I don't mind a forward/center dominated team, if we keep winning...

p.s. As for the recruiting-final four comment, I don't know, how many top 50 kids did George Mason land this year? And, before you knock Tack Minor, remember the kid was a top 40 signee several years ago when LSU was still in/coming out of probation (he got offers from several other schools, including Bob Huggins at Cincy).

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC.

8. FloridaObserver

FloridaObserver Freshman

If LSU land Ray Shipman from Monsignor Pace in Florida, they will be recieving a multi-talanted combo guard that has a built on NBA style body with power to take it to the basket at will and a good and improving by the day jump shot. He is the real deal.

1 person likes this.
  9. LSUDeek

It sure is nice to see him listing LSU as high interest while competing with Florida and Connecticut.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

As an update, according to Scout and Rivals (who don't seem to have the same story), LSU has apparently become a little more "liberal" with handing out the hoops scholarships. Scout reports that LSU has offered Olu Ashaolu, a 4-star AAU teammate of DJ Wright, and a 6-6 215 PF playing in Texas. Rivals reports that LSU has offered Ray Shipman, the 6-3 shooting guard mentioned above from Florida. I don't know whether either is true, but if so it does seem that offers have gone out to two players that are "high" on the Tigers.

What we have is Greg Monroe with an offer, that lists seven schools, but many speculate that it's LSU and Duke leading. And, we also have a very keen interest in J'Covan Brown, who is arguably the best recruit out of Texas, a sharp shooting 6-3 combo guard who is lighting up the high school ranks--who has not yet gotten an offer (but also leaning to Texas and Duke).