Hoops BBall Recruiting (2006-7)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 17, 2006.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Randy Livinston? There were some rumors a couple years ago about Randy coming back to LSU as an assistant. It was reported that he couldn't because he didn't have his degree. It has now been reported that Bob Starkey doesn't have a degree. Anyone know any details?

There was a blurb in one of the Randy Livingston stories that he was about to become a coach of one of the minor league teams prior to getting another offer from the NBA.

2. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

Nikita Johnson also got us Quintinn Thornton and, FWIW Garret Green. He's actually a pretty good recruiter.

3. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

I would love having Livingston as a coach, and maybe even eventually the head coach.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

did you watch UO in the tournament?

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i rarely watch nonLSU/saints sporting events. the olympics, derby, and half-way watch the superbowl and redsox playoffs. sure as hell aint gonna watch ducks games on tv.

of course, i didnt say i was surprised they didnt seem to want him.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Just to clarify this point, Voogd probably wanted to sign with Oregon coming out of high school. But, that year, Oregon was hot after a Tarver kid, who was the best guard prospect in the region and didn't offer (neither did OSU). Apparently Ben was also interested in Gonzaga, and they might have scouted him, but also did not offer b/c of depth at his position (and they have Raivo, who is a very good PG). So, at the end of the day, LSU was the only "high major" that offered. Brady did the kid a favor by offering him, and Ben knows it. I think to Ben's credit, he came here played, gave it a good go, and isn't bad mouthing the program like other kids. He got to go to the final four, which is more than what he could have said if he was a walk on at Oregon or some other school. He's best suited to play at a mid-major on the west coast, where he'll get to play a lot at this point. Bottomline too, I'm sure he misses home.

It's interesting though, to me, why Farrer isn't also looking. True, he's only a RS Frosh, but here's a AZ guy that may not get a whole lot of PT in future years. At some level, you do have to sign guys who just want to come in and be a student athlete, practice hard, live the college athletics experience, go out into the world and represent your school in a good way and aren't just angling for the NBA--and who are loyal. Farrer seems like he likes it at LSU, despite the depth at his position, and that's got to be commended. On the one hand we often bristle at the signings of Garrett Green, Ben Voogd and Alex Farrer, but on the other hand, these guys are contributing in other ways. Let's just make sure that these guys don't outnumber the All-Americans! :hihi:

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A FAN.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

well, it's the tournament, and i would expect anyone who calls themselves a CBB fan to have watched at least some of the tournament. if you had watched UO, you'd see that they have guards that are head and shoulders above Voogd, and even above most of the pac-10 (All-Pac 10 Aaron Brooks, and All Pac-10 Freshman Tajuan Porter)

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

nahhhhhhhh. not a tv sports fan. just an LSU sports fan (ok, really just fball and basketball). will watch almost anything in person---except women's basketball