Hoops BBall Recruiting (2006-7)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 17, 2006.

1. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Just finish watching the Round ball classic and noticed a great thing, Anthony Randolph is what Glen Davis was trying to be this year. He has a decent handle can drive a little, can hit the long ball when open and grab some rebounds. He can stand to gain some pound (got dunked on pretty hard, but had a nice dunk) but he’ll be ok, because he looks like a legit small forward.

The low of this recruiting class seems to be Bo Spencer because we recruited him when we desperately needed a point guard and the word on Bo is he’s a small shooting guard. Don’t give up on Bo! From what I’ve read he played point last year so it’s not this is his first go round. Also he’s only 18 or 19 so he hasn’t reached his potential.

Garrett Green???????????????? Just don’t know! He made a name for himself in AAU Tournaments where you play the best of the best, but his high school senior numbers just don’t jump out at you. I think he averaged a little over 10 a game. Everything you read about him says he’s 6’10 and can shoot. So at the least he can cause some match up problems plus give a mustache and he’s the second coming of Adam Morrison!

I haven’t read anything bad about Marcus Thornton. When you look at some of the other schools that were after him it makes you feel like we got a quality guy. Quinton Thornton seems to be a guy who doesn’t look to score much but grabs rebounds and blocks shots. It’s not bad to have a person to do the dirty work.

The feel you from D.J. Wright is that if he played ball in the states he’s be top 50. Add these guys to what we have and I think at worst we can get back into the tournament. If you saw the games we played without Glen Davis (no knock on Glen just seems like he didn’t fit with the rest of the team last year) and look at the type of guys we have coming, we could be a real dangerous team. Can’t wait!

1 person likes this.
  2. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

This year was a very bad year in basketball...everyone will admit that but i really hate to see that pretty much everyone is underestimating the recruiting class we have coming in...I have followed the recruiting process of this class pretty heavily and I just have a really good feeling about this class......Randolph is gonna be a stud...but after that the recruits are pretty much a mystery and I like that.....Wrights gonna be a sharpshooter, along with M Thornton and hopefully Spencer who can also help with the point. Q thornton is is gonna be a guy who controls the inside with rebounds and block shots. G Green is a guy who is gonna develop and be a better version of Ross Neltner who can stroke it from the outside....overall I think this class can be one of the best classes in CJB'S career....and if I am wrong....then it looks like we might be looking for a new coach next year....

3. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait for next season.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Thorton has confirmed signing his LOI with LSU.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/7040072.html

5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Right. I was happy to see the news this am about M.Thornton. If he really got interest/schollie offers from Maryland, UConn and Kansas (which I'm not sure if he did get schollies as much as interest, b/c he was reported to be leaning towards LSU early), I'm very happy with this pick. A true scoring guard who I believe is going to be much more multi-dimensional that some of the guards we have. I also found it interesting that the Advocate story has all of the current backcourt players returning... we'll see.

As for this class, I remain cautiously optimistic, but happy with the haul. A deep class, with some proven guys, and some prospects, but overall a balanced class. What this did however was show that Brady et. al. was more concerned about getting 6 guys signed up this year to get them into the fold soon--probably makes sense that he wants all the guns he can find to turn around this season's fortunes. However, it leaves little room to sign guys in '07-'08, unless we have some defections or early leavers (Mason's the only Sr next year). So, if we remain committed to Tyler, who's already a verbal Center commit, where does that leave us with Monroe, Shipman and a few others that seem real interested in LSU? That's what I worry about. Brady (along with the Tiger nation) may be hoping that we see a break out from someone next year (Rolle, since he's 6'11"; Anthony Randolph; or Tas'?)... so there is another schollie spot or two that open up. 2009 will need to be a huge recruiting class, as we're expecting another class of 7 or more gone after that season (Tas', Temple, M.Thornton, QThornton, T.Martin, B.Voogd, Rolle, C.Johnson etc.). You really would have liked to have this smoothed out a little more, but in that class, you've got presumably your point guard for the future, in Tommy Mason-Griffin. I believe having a point like him already committed will build good momentum for that year, as several big names already have LSU on their lists.

In any case, it looks like we can officially kill this thread. It was a fun recruiting year, wasn't it? :lol:

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A FAN.

6. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

Actually, that story omitted Alex Farrer. Simple oversight, or ominous portent? :lol: With Thornton coming in as a 2, Martin and Mason already there, that position is pretty crowded.

Overall I agree that this looks like a class that has some quality, depth and at least one or two immediate impact players. My main quibble would be that it doesn't look like it addresses our biggest immediate need, PG. IMO we would have been better served by a JUCO PG and a HS SG. Green looks like he was a reach, but I can handle 1 out of 6 being so. It's the 2 or 3 out of 5 type classes that have been a problem.

7. artichokes

Big News!

Someone on the Rant is reporting that Ben Voogd has asked for release players. That takes care of that.

8. artichokes

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, good luck to Voogd. I'll have to say, that in this case, it's a case of "amicable" split. I'll give Voogd credit for being well-classed, saying the right things. Here's a kid that got a big league schollie when others weren't going to give him a chance, and he got to go to a final four. Brady to his credit, took his chances and let the kid play. In the end, Voogd would have been better off in a less "physical" league. But, I'll always remember him and his gorilla impression on national TV during the final four run. :lol: Good luck Ben.

As for the Advocate article recapping this class, here it is...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/7057502.html.

I don't know if I'd rate them number 4, but probably top 10, given the signing of M.Thornton, who is reportedly already getting NBA looks. If true, that could really bode well for the backcourt.

Lastly, it wasn't mentioned but with the potential of assistant coach Nikita Johnson leaving, it may affect recruiting in that he largely was responsible for DJ Wright coming and Nikita was also the lead on '08 recruit Ray Shipman. You have to think with the likely number of spots for recruits next year, that affects his role as a recruiter next season. It also makes you think whether LSU can use that spot to upgrade its coaching staff. Perhaps a young whippersnapper, with LSU ties, that might have some NBA experience... a young go getter recruiter who can also bring some new blood to the staff? Randy Livingston perhaps? :grin: What's he going to do after wrapping up his season stint in Seattle?

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A FAN.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

its a little weird. the three place voogd is looking at are closer to home but not close to home. not many people gonna drive 10 hr each way to see a game. i guess the ducks and beavers dont want him.