Holyfield/ Riddick Bowe

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by tirk, Jan 25, 2016.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Anyone remember how good both these fights were? I had completely forgotten until I saw some highlights recently.

They fought 3 times. I only remember seeing the first 2. Holyfield had the most determination of any american fighter Ive ever seen. He wasnt even a true heavyweight.

Heres the first one--

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, unbelievable fights. Even better was the Holyfield v Qawi. Those dudes brawled non-stop. Can't remember who won or how many rounds, but I think Evander in 11? I know there is a website about it, www.holyfield.com ,I think.

3. ParadiseiNC

Here it is. 15 rds., Evander won the fight, and lost 15lbs in the process. He was hospitalized for severe dehydration and acute kidney failure.
    http://www.evanderholyfield.com/bio/the-fight-of-his-life/

I remember seeing it live one Saturday afternoon, I think. There was no big hoopla about it. It think it was on regular TV, ABC Wide World of Sports, maybe. Had no idea what to expect, just bored, and put it on.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

This is the greatest fight ever.

But seriously boxing used to be so good, now I will only watch Muay Thai. Boxing totally sucks, and Mayweather is by far the worst champion the sport has ever seen. He is the most boring fighter ever.

5. tirk

not sure I even saw this. I wont know til i watch some of it but the name doesnt ring a bell. I grew up a big boxing fan because my dad boxed when he was younger and got me into it. Heavyweights were always the worst. Lame, no action minus a few. Holyfield came out of nowhere, was a cruiser weight then started adding muscle up to light heavyweight to hw. He is dumb as f and has 100 kids from 100 women but I respected the guy as a fighter and the way he handled himself was always class.

I used to like the flyweights and lws from mexico or the irish fighters. Michael Carbajal, little hands of stone and a few other from that era had many bloodbaths.

remember holyfield had a heart issue then had some other ailment late in his career. i think he thought god cured him and he was ok.

6. tirk

boxing is still boxing. we just dont have any american fighters in the hw division and it carries the weight of them all. the damn klitschkos are still likely champs.

they of course need to unify all the stupid belts to make it worthwhile again.

7. ParadiseiNC

dude, find it and watch the whole thing. it was like the Gatti/Ward fights, or Gatti/enter a name fights, but bigger dudes, hitting even harder. they went at it, toe to toe, round after round. i think Qawi knocked Holyfield down in the 11th, and it looked like he wouldn't hang on. next thing you know, Holyfields back, and Qawi was in trouble.

8. tirk

oh im going to watch it. of course every white person who watched any boxing saw the gatti/ward fights. They were the last real rockys we had left. the struggles of a race is mirrored thru boxing. Rich people dont box and thats why mexicans and blacks and cubans dominated. used to be irish and jews til the others were allowed.

some of the best fights ever:
    hagler hearns
    hearns leonard
    aaron pryor alexis arguello
    carbajal gonzalez
    diego corrales luis castillo
    duran leonard
    barrera morales
    gatti ward
    duran and iran barkley
    pacquiao marquez

i had to cheat on a couple to remember. i left out clay liston on purpose and the other obvious ones.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I love boxing. It's just a shame what's happened to it.

10. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

What about Ali - Foreman?