Hog Trapping

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by diamondheadtiger, Mar 16, 2014.

1. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

That's a great read. The one I got was f'n pissed. He was head first at the cage. But it's true as long as we stayed at a distance he wasn't doing much.
    Going to take the next one out alive...I watched a couple youtube vids, I think we got this...

2. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

it is not difficult. Make you a PVC pole noose and get the head secured at the back of the trap....grab back legs and drag em out then tie the feet. Just be very deliberate and when you grab hold commit to it dont be iffy about it.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Why don't you try trapping them with a 25-06, .270, or 7mm and such. Lots of guys would love the opportunity. Of course you need to vet the shooters, but folks are ALWAYS trying to find places to take wild piggies out.

Good luck.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

dhead, I'm putting together a hog hunt. One friend has hog dogs; the other, prime hog property. It will be two weeks from this Saturday. I have no clue where you live but PM me if you want to come.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

How did the hog hunt go? I woke up to this one this morning...

Wiggy2.JPG

6. LSUTiga

Nice. We never went. One property owner wanted to but his son didn't want to run dogs now due to preggo deer.

7. LSUTiga

Kilt my first hog with a rifle yesterday morning. We came out with 5 hogs and 2 deer. Just cooked some of the hog. Stuff is off the hook.

LSUDad, KyleK and titoabad1 like this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That is my solution. Every year a couple of local hog hunters call me and ask permission to shoot hogs on my timberland. Since the folks who lease it for deer hunting don't hunt hogs, I let them go in and eradicate hogs as long as they are willing to buy hunting club liability insurance that costs them $125. You have to protect yourself.

9. LSUTiga

In Louisiana a property owner can't be held liable if someone trespassing on your property gets hurt. I tell you that because I've found that giving someone permission ONCE makes them the DON'T have to ask the next time they want to go. May come in handy.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yeah, but they ask permission. Absentee landowners must be careful not to piss off the local country boys who will burn down my trees if they feel disrespected. So I let them hunt if they get the insurance, its a million dollar policy offered by the Louisiana Forestry Association that protects them and me both and they seem to understand. They want to be covered if they shoot somebody accidentally and were not aware that insurance could be gotten for a reasonable price.

And if I allow them on the property, I can be held liable for their actions. So I have timberland liability insurance and they must have hunters liability insurance. I have too much to lose to be a nice guy, take a handshake deal, or trust them not to lie. People will sue you in a heartbeat.

LSUDad likes this.