Here's my problem with a playoff

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by NJtiger, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

If you are eliminated in the playoffs, you are eliminated. Simple as that. That is the way it is in all sports playoffs. It is not practical to have double elimination in football. I don't see the problem. No matter what system we have, there will always be criticism. There is no perfect system.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I hate to break the news, but although the better, more talented team doesn't always win every game, true champions find a way to win when it matters. Upsets happen all the time in college basketball, but no one questions whether the tourny winner is the true
    #1. Similar upsets would happen in a CFB playoff, but I'd rather see a series of actual football games decide the true #1, rather than the caprice of some sports writer or computer programmer.

And honestly, as a college football fan, I simply don't see how anyone can support a system where an undefeated SEC team is left out of the championship picture. This isn't some hypothetical situation, it's already happened, and it's a travesty for such a great sport.

3. usc2010

usc2010 Founding Member

I completely agree. Auburn got hosed. I think the 04 trojans beat them anyway, but that was a travesty. i think what the sportswriters were feeling there was after what happened to SC in 03 and considering we had beaten Auburn in 02 and shut them out at home in 03 people were reluctant to let them play SC again even if those games were irrelevent. That logic is flawed, but so are sportswriters and the system. We need to settle the title on the field.

I find it funny for every year the fans who feal left out even if they should have been (SC and Georgia) yell about a playoff, but if either of us get in next year, I have a feeling alot of SC's fan base would be quiet which is unfortunite. I'd rather go back to the old bowl system, where we at least knew the NC was BS.

4. DwayneBowned

DwayneBowned Founding Member

Just look at the BCS games and the current NFL playoffs, which have you enjoyed more as far as quality of games and matchups are concerned. (Obviously look at it from a neutral non-LSU fan perspective)

5. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

We did. It was televised on FOX back on January 7th.

Ahhh, you mean that system where there was almost 0 chance that 1 vs 2 would happen?

6. usc2010

usc2010 Founding Member

People are always happy when things work out their way, even when they are flawed

7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

yup, you're making that point. bet you were pretty happy when you got in in 2004 just because you started the year at no. 1 and auburn got hosed

8. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

I'm in favor of a larger playoff system, but really - USC lost at home, to 4-8 Stanford, with Stanford's backup QB getting his first-ever start in the game. That's an automatic disqualifier... the same would have held true if one of LSU's losses had been to Ole Miss this season.

9. usc2010

usc2010 Founding Member

I completely agree....no arguments here. I would want a playoff whether SC was a part of it or not

10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Didn't "work out" our way last year, and I was still happy.**
    Why? Because we didn't deserve to be in the title game. We had our chance during the year, and blew it. That simple. No excuses. Nobody in the media gives 2 chits about a "more deserving" team getting left out unless it's USC. My guess is because of the whining that comes out of L.A. when the Chosen Ones fall short, AGAIN!!!

**I wasn't happy THAT we blew it, but happy with NC game pairing.