Here come the Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

Toe to toe. That's how the Tigers stood last night against the best team in the country. UGA may hold the #1 ranking in the polls but the standard in College Football right now is UA. And the Tigers fought valiantly against the Tide on their home turf in a raucous environment with a bunch of young players who just a couple of month's ago were on the ropes. These Tigers have fought through adversity, pulled together and lifted themselves off the mat. And they have done so in a big way.

Last night I watched those Tigers play tough defense and execute an offense that attacked the Tide. Statistically ... well just look at the numbers, almost identical with LSU holding a slight edge in nearly every category. One turnover, minimal penalties, no costly or stupid mistakes (roughing the passer, hitting someone out of bounds, targeting). The difference was simply that UA executed a couple more key plays than LSU and we missed a couple of opportunities that could have made the difference. It came down to a familiar theme: the play of the Tigers QB.

Now before you jump on the Etling-bashing-bus, that young man has played his ass off this year. He has fought tooth and nail. He has left his blood and sweat on that field and never backed down. He has shown leadership and he has stayed focused. I would go to battle with that guy any day. The difference is just physical. He just hasn't been able to hit one or two key passes in these games that would have moved the chains and put points on the board. He knows the situation and he knows this is Brennan's team next year. Still he laces up and gives his all on every down. I admire the kid.

Still, a team loaded with youth, and one of the youngest teams in college football with less experience and without a coach named Saban did not back down against the Tide. The Tigers could have won that game if not for a missed throw and a dropped pass or two. It was not lack of effort. It was not play calling. It was not mismanagement of the clock. The Tide have just a little bit more talent ... for now. If LSU can do what they did last night under the circumstances they have faced, and a team that is not loaded with 5 stars on the bench, just imagine what they are going to be like next year with more experience, some added depth and another year with this system under their belts. And a highly talented QB.

Yeah it sucks to lose to Bama, but anyone who is not wearing Purple and Gold should be a little nervous. I recommended, back in September, that Tiger nation should be patient and watch this team grow. Enjoy watching these young men mature, come together and develop as a team. Well I hope you have been paying attention because the Tigers are coming.

And they are not far off ...

GEAUX TIGERS!

2. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Don't discount the impact that their punter was enormously better than our own. We were losing 20+ yards on every change of possession.

kcal, Bayou Tiger and lsu-i-like like this.
  3. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

I really like this post.

4. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

A little long :p

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Makes you miss Brad Wing, doesn't it?

6. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

Agree. Their punter is a game-changer.

Also, are people forgetting Norte Dame's only loss was by one point to UGA? They are a sleeper.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Get a real QB and we'll talk.

8. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

If both Ala and Ga are undefeated going into the SEC championship we will see 2 SEC teams in the CFP.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Von Rosenberg averaged over 43 yards per punt. The problem was that when Bama punted they were doing it from better field position. In fact, this whole season we have started a lot of drives from the shadows of our own goal posts.

10. N.C.Tiger

N.C.Tiger We push snow in Style

A very good post, Sun still came up this morning and I’m still proud of the whole team, Danny gave us his best, that’s all we can ask for..... love dem Tigers