HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by wjray, Jan 22, 2014.

1. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

So, clicking through on links in this article has absolutely convinced me that there will be no overt supernatural element to the story. It's going to be much scarier.

A bit of personal backstory here: I moved to Ponchatoula in 2007 and really cranked up my criminal practice in Tangipahoa Parish in about 2008. Though I started (like most other criminal lawyers) with a mix of misdemeanors and juvenile work, I transitioned to felonies in about 2009. Which is a way of saying that, while I periphially knew about this case, I had absolutely no involvement in it and, frankly, it had slipped my mind. As horrific as it was.

You can read about it at the beginning here: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/25/national/25church.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

A couple of stories about two of the convictions are here: http://www.hammondstar.com/local_news/news/article_e1116e88-0a88-5c9f-aefd-29eba7b07937.html and here: http://www.hammondstar.com/local_news/news/article_6c3013f2-eaab-5e85-bbb5-74e5a41c19e3.html

When I found the stories above, it was a little surreal to me that, in the last 24 hours, I had spoken with five of the people named in them. Two of the others are people I see on a fairly regular basis and another one is someone who I'm on a first name basis with.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that True Detective just hit pretty damned close to home for me and got much creepier. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That times article about Tangipahoa Parish and the Lamonica Jr and his satanic followers obviously influenced this series. Early in the series the black Reverand spoke of cats being sacrificed.

I agree with you I don't think anything supernatural is going to happen, however, I do believe that this cult, or as my buddy and I have deemed them The Carcosa Society, believe in the supernatural and are sacrifing children and putting them through sexual torture and rituals to either appease their deity or to summon their deity which I believe is Cthulhu or The Yellow King.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

[​IMG]

??? ?

Maggie had a floral thing going last night. Her overly white home (she was dressed in white) floral arrangements in every shot angle. Floral blouse at the bar...Does this put her higher on the pedastle? She went to the bar to find out what Rust knew. This following the knowledge that her ex and Rust are back on the trail. Also there were family photos bringing in the shot to Maggie's home and one was Marty's youngest daughter (yellow hair), grown now an artist, posing next to one of her art works. The art piece was kind of a dark depiction of a king. Not a yellow king, just a king...

Marty is over obsessed with child related crimes. It is becoming obvious that he is knowledgeable of the cult which, drives his disgust over child crimes. Lot to do with Maggie's father being the Marty hating ball buster he is.

How this ends in just 1 more hour is anyone's guess so it is my sincerest hope that it justifies the awesomeness that has been the first 7 hours.

Found this from the internets nerds. I totally missed this:

[​IMG]

A parting shot of Maggie's Ooh face

[​IMG]

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I think his daughter's art with the king also had some black stars.

5. LaSalleAve

I'm kind of feeling we aren't going to be pleased with how this turns out. A lot of loose ends to fit in 1 episode, unless like Rust said, "it ends with him"

I do not believe Rust nor Marty had anything to do or any knowledge of "the Carcosa society". I just don't think Marty could be a part of something like that. Unless at the very end it's him that puts a bullet in Rust's head. The thing that makes me doubt my train of thought is why would he be privy to what is starting to look like a kidnap and torture of an elected sheriff of New Iberia.

6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I don't remember a sheriff ever being murdered in New Iberia

7. LaSalleAve

In an earlier episode Rust slaps a fellow detective at the station. That detective is now the Sheriff of ether Iberia or New Iberia I can't remember.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I believe is from New Iberia and now the Iberia Parish sheriff.

9. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

So now we're just waiting on the finale. I thought Episode 7 was a bit of a let down but it was necessary, probably, to set up Episode 8. I still don't know if everything is going to be resolved or if we'll be reminded of Cohle's saying that "nothing is ever solved in this life."

Oh, and I'm trying to rule Marty out but keep getting drawn back to him. The latest thing was this: http://dictionary.sensagent.com/hart/en-en/ Hart apparently is an old word for a male deer, especially a male red deer. One of the defining characteristics is antlers.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

What reason do you have to think it's Marty? Both he and Cohle were 100% ruled out in Episode 7.