HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by wjray, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

All of the yellow king stuff, and lovecraftian undertones really point towards the supernatural. Have you looked up "The King In Yellow" ? If not, basically the king in yellow is a play with 2 acts. The first act is kinda spooky but normal, the 2nd act drives the reader or viewer mad with the insight it gives the human mind. Basically it unlocks secrets to the universe that are too heavy for the human mind to be able to process. It seems to me that Cohle has some of this insight now.

2. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I finally started watching the series about a week ago and now caught up through the six episodes. I had been avoiding this thread until now, which I'm glad that I did. I didn't realize there would only be eight episodes and looking forward to the conclusion.

I read an article on a site called thinkprogress.org about some of the possible deeper meanings behind True Detective (some have also been discussed in this thread). If these are intentional correlations, most of them would have gone over my head.

The girl in the mental institution seemed to confirm that Cohle isn't the killer by repeating the reference of the tall guy with the facial burns.

You had to feel for Marty a little when that 2nd girl was trying to get him to come over with the promise that she wanted him to be the 1st to explore her other opening. He was trying to do the right things as a husband and father but that was too much to overcome. He's much more relatable than Cohle but not nearly as intriguing.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Marty is too stupid to be a stand alone killer and a cop keeping the trail cold.

Marty got religion. He debates it ad nauseam with Cole at the revival tent. He is swimming in religion and tries to carry his life in those views. He has a pretty hard time juggling his views and being a cop which, makes him look more unlikely to be suspected. Maggie, when interviewed states how well Marty was doing after returning home from his first bout of infidelity. Mentions how active he is with the church.

The following link is a MAJOR spoiler if in fact, one might suspect Marty's involvement:

http://imgur.com/a/1EAvX

Preauxmeaux for episode 7:

Stills from the preauxmeaux:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spooky shit.

Of course all of this Marty involvement is speculation, but there is enough there to not rule him out. I'll add another Marty twist...i think his daughter was somehow molested or a subject in the cult. This might be the point that Marty is ruled out, dunno. Maggie herself is not entirely ruled out either....

A parting shot of Beth's ass cause really, there can never be enough of a good thing...

[​IMG]

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How does any of that implicate Marty? The Promo shows Cohle showing Marty a video which makes Marty lose his shit. I can see his daughter being involved in that aspect, but there is way too much Lovecraftian and Yellow King stuff for me to believe that this whole story won't end with some supernatural thing involved. Not ghosts but a monster.

5. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I think Marty can be (at best) part of or having knowledge of the cult by and through the church. I do not think he is the killer. Another thing I forgot to mention; When Marty and Cole raided the meth compound, Marty discovers the children. Marty burst out of the building and puts a big hole in "their guys" head. One might believe that was retaliation for fucking with kids but it could also be Marty protecting the cult by making certain Cole doesn't get the skinny from the abuser.

Like I said, too many easter eggs to rule Marty out. I could be completely wrong.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That's the main reason I think Marty's in on it, plus he has a violent streak to him. I don't think he's a mastermind or anything like that but I think he's a player.

7. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I have always thought that Mary and Cohle were not apart of it intially but possibly get sucked into this other world. Maybe not Marty but Cohle has the mindset (Maybe the videotape sucks Marty in). Something I can't figure out is how why Marty, Cohle, and Maggie all protect each other in interogations and don't reveal what happened to sour relationships between them. I can see Marty and Cohle doing this because of the illegal activities they participated in to get their guys 17 years ago. But Maggie protecting them threw me for a loop. Maybe I am overthinking it and Maggie is just not saying anything because she acting like a huge whore to break up their partnership.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I watched 3 episodes last night. That is one whacked out show.

9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

That's what I assumed. What she did would generally be frowned upon and would lead to some major slut shaming. But maybe there is more to it.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Sorry Shane...We should be title this thread with Spoiler Alert. Hope you aren't reading our post.

Spoiler....

Now that I am thinking about it. Maggie is a wildcard in my mind now. Just thinking about it and she didn't even cringe or make a comment about all the horrific shit in Cohle's apartment and she went to the ultimate extreme to break their partnership up and also seems to be the most guarded and secretive during interrogations. Maybe this is how Marty's daughter could be tied in.