HBO's True Detective

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by wjray, Jan 22, 2014.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

I don't think anything was left undone and with only 8 episodes, I am not overly broken over the ending. I do think however, there was enough to drive it into 10, even 12 episodes. They left a lot of speculation and I hate ending on speculation. I do understand the frenzy and the amount of speculation generated on the internet (as if the writer knew it is the off-season) but there was a TON of easter eggs planted out there and a mere fraction of that was addressed. The cult, in this ending seems to have dissolved leaving only the killer. So what comes of the cult after any further investigation remains...speculative. They literally cut at the point where evidence was still being dug up and with accountability of so many missing persons coming to life. Was that body of evidence a result of the cult or just the lone killer? Again, speculative.

Marty's family involvement was planted even if it was only to the extent that the kids grew up listening to cult like stories. Was that misdirection on purpose or was it misleading or does that continue to simply be speculation? I felt like that was left unexplained. I don't mind being mislead and I thoroughly enjoy being proven wrong. I was hoping for that but instead, I have questions that go unanswered with an ending that was wonderfully filled with imagery yet, was tragically predictable. Perhaps if the lawnmower scene at the end of episode 7 was redone and toned down, I might have been a bit more surprised about the ending.

They covered a few of the dominant themes and it did pan out for Marty that the "evidence under his nose" was the paint job. Ironic that Rust drove the investigation while Marty was there to type reports that later, it was Marty that solved the case and they got their guy. Rust was heavily against faith followers and in the end, he has been shown faith which, I am sure he continues to struggle with.

2. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I worked for Trey Bernard in the mid 90s at his "christian" computer store. He gave me my first job in the IT industry. He was very smart and overtly christian.

The best way I could describe him is he was a huge kid. He hung out with this 13 year old kid, not his kid all the time. And he would have kids from the church over and play video games with them all night at the store. Kind of like a lock in, but with video games. I thought is was very weird thing for a grown man to do, but he was like the youth pastor at his church. In general he was a very generous person. He gave away stuff all the time to people in need. So when this all came out, it made me sick to my stomach for weeks. It is surreal to have been that close to true evil. I had no clue but it made sense looking back. His entire personality was a lie.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It was a great series and I get the fact that that it was all about getting the spaghetti man with green ears, but this story line is so damn interesting it would have been cooler with 3 more episodes and them trying to take down everyone involved in Marie Fontenot's abdication, rape and murder I guess, hell they really don't even say what happened to her in that video.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

This wasn't about catching every criminal involved. This was about Rust, Marty and the killer of Dora Lange. Everything else was there to build the atmosphere for that story. The masked guys ritualistically killing Marie Fontenot was added to provide background. The story of Rust, Marty and Dora Lange ended and left us with opportunities to wonder about what happened in their lives during the next chapter. This chapter has closed, though.

Any other questions were created out of the wild speculation from viewers...

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

That is my biggest gripe. also how the shit was Rust not dead? Dude was stabbed, then lifted of the ground with the knife cutting up his insides.

6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Rust wanted to die and that is why he didn't die. That is the cruel fate of life. He came so close that that love and peace that he has been desperately missing and then he was pulled back into the world.

Him not dying was the sad part.

7. LaSalleAve

Good point about the knife. Most people who are basically impaled die. But not the smoking drugging alcoholic. I just don't see his character giving up after that guy is killed. I counted at least 5 ppl in that video, if 1 was Tuttle, and 1 was Errol, and 1 was the older Childress, we are still talking a few others involved in whatever happened to Marie Fontenot. I mean if the story was only about catching Dora's killer, why even involve all the other stuff?

Hell it was still bad ass, I'm not gonna let the end ruin the whole series for me and honestly I went in knowing I wasn't going to be satisfied.

On another note, the music in this series was bad ass. I have already bought songs from 4 different artists because of this show. The Black Angels, Handsome Family, Townes Van Zandt, and The Hat ft. Father John Misty & S.I. Istwa.

Good shit, the last one by The Hat and those other fellas called Angry River, kind of reminded me of System of a Down if they were more of an indie acoustic band. Regardless the choons were top notch throughout this series.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

9. LaSalleAve

The double M needs to make sure he leaves some space next to his Oscar.

10. LaSalleAve