Hawthorne's farewell

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Jun 20, 2015.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

fanatic likes this.
  3. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Chris Blair named new voice of the Tigers

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Georgia Southern
    Blair spent 10-years as play-by-play announcer for prep powerhouse Greenwood High School in South Carolina and handled the play-by-play for four state championship football games at Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.

shitty pedigree but im digging the voice. hopefully hes likable. plus he drained the swamp. im going to guess this was a nice find based on a 1 minute clip.

RHans405 likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sounds good and can turn a good catchphrase. I'm guessing that was spontaneous since nobody would expect GS to beat the Gaytor.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Blair is 40. About the right age for him to be the Voice for the next 25 or 30 years. His only experience other than Georgia Southern has been South Carolina high school games.

7. mottthehoople

mottthehoople Chaw!

He was horrible. The last three or four seasons he came off as a crabby old man.

fanatic likes this.
  8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Ha, he'll never live that down. When calling baseball games, he also had a way of making you believe a routine fly ball was a HR. "THERE's A DRIVE, DEEP LEFT, and the LF settles under it for out number 2".
    It has been pretty bad the last few years in all sports. It's probably a year or time past time for him to hang'em up, but it will still be strange listening to someone else call pbp, especially in football.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I will always remember Hawthorne, both the good (since I was a little kid) and the not so good.

For the 2001 SEC championship game, we decided to visit my grandmother for her bday in Tyler, TX. We had a nice day followed by dinner and cake. About 20 minutes before kickoff, we realized they decided to air Michael Jordan's Wizards game against the Mavs.

My dad & I quickly left to try and find the game at a local bar but went 0 for 3. We had radio reception and ended up listening to the game in his car in my grandmother's driveway. That was the game with Mauck coming in to save the day after the dirty hit on Rohan by a Vol D-Lineman. Tenn's QB was the original Clausen brother. Hawthorne mixed up Mauck & Clausen so many times that we kept thinking we had missed a turnover.

Overall, will miss Hawthorne being the guy.

furduknfish likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

This.