Gunner Kiel

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by FriedBoudinBall, Nov 26, 2011.

1. mcstraycat

mcstraycat Founding Member

And we'll look forward to kicking his Notre Dame *ss in some future bowl game of great importance..... Again.

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

ND in a major bowl anytime soon? ND, loss in Champs Sports Bowl? 8-5 for two years in a row? This is just me I guess.

Lots of moving coaches on that staff right now. Not a lot of stability there.

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

Notre Dame had a mess at QB this year as well, and it didn't hurt them with Kiel. Notre Dame finished the season running a two-quarterback system between two sophomore QBs Tommy Rees and Andrew Hendrix. both were horrible in their bowl game: one had 2 INTs, the other had 1 INT and only completed 37.5 of his passes and had a 37.70 rating. Notre Dame only had 1 offensive score the whole game. also, these two sophomore QBs were not blue chip recruits, both were rated 3-stars by Scout.com. on the other hand, Notre Dame had a senior QB this season in Dayne Crist that was a unanimous 5-star recruit by all the recruiting services, and Coach Kelly benched him after the first game and never let him start again. last year he was their starting QB and had stats very similar to Matt Barkley (both were averaging 2 TDs and 1 INT per game, both averaged 226-233 passing yards per game, and both had QB ratings of 130-140).

think if we had started this season with a senior 5-star QB recruit and Les benched him after Game 1 to let two 3-star sophomore QBs run our offense. Tiger Nation would be pissed, no?

i could understand claiming Kiel didn't want to come to LSU because of the mess we had at QB if Kiel went somewhere like Arkansas where Petrino has been doing a great job of developing QBs. but Kiel choose ND, which had just as much of a mess at QB as we did...

1 person likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Kiel didn't come for two main reasons apparently.

1. He's a mama's boy.

2. It is Mettenberger's team.

5. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

Mommy is a little closer now!

6. NickB

NickB Veteran Member

Trent Dilfer was on the SVP show, & SVP asked him what was the deal with Kiel, b/c apparently Dilfer works with a lot of young QB's at his camp. Dilfer said he's a good kid, blah blah blah, but at he felt his only problem was that he felt entitled. He said he probably felt that the situation at LSU wasn't best for him b/c he wants to start right away. On the other hand, Mett had to sit back (with a good attitude mind you) the whole year & watch the Sr's. Mett has 2 years of eligibility right? And who knows, maybe Rivers will be the guy after Mett, so we're good. We were never going to be a sling it out team anyway, but I have to believe that Mett is head & shoulders above JJ & JL as far as potential goes.

7. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Actually, there is doubt. This is just YOUR opinion and the opinion of people who think like you.

You state this as though it were fact when it is only your idle speculations.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

True Nick, this team has a bunch of talent. Upgrade at the QB position. Remember Krags was working off of Crowtons playbook(It was easier for the two returning QB's). This year we will start fresh. Mett read the defense against Ole Mrs. took a bootleg 25 yds. Gonna be a good one, a year with Krags has done him well.

9. 1BIGTIGER

1BIGTIGER Founding Member

Apparently it is the opinion of 99.99% of football fans and not just Tiger fans!!! Guess you think it did not hurt us in any way or helped us. :insane:

10. rachellsu01

rachellsu01 Im gone people, its been fun

i dont think it helped, but i do think that family played a major role in this and staying close to home was a big issue for him...good luck to him at nd...we will be fine and no matter what i dont want someone at the school whose heart is not in it and is not true purple and gold....