Gumbo Discussion Last Night

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Jun 24, 2008.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

yeah, but my way (all sweet and mushy) he wont get it made for him again just out of spite. :hihi:

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

She's absolutely right. Insulting your wife's cooking is a big no-no. Now, perhaps, she really isn't a cook? Then, she might not take it that personally.

I do see myself as a cook, and if my husband was dumb enough to correct my cooking...well, hell hath no fury. I've said before on here that I've never done his laundry again since the time he told me I was doing it all wrong.

But, Mastermind, you're completely right about the gumbo--it's not a rice dish. SabanFan is also right; it's got to have roux. For the record, I don't know how to cook it. My dad does that. He learned from my mom's father.

And as for Red Lobster, that is NOT a seafood restaurant.

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Something my mom always said, "if you're going to do something do it right."

If someone really wants to be appreciated for trying they should do it right. Research how to make a real gumbo then give it a shot. Not take some half ass short cut.

If I want to get my girlfriend a gift I see what she stuff looks at, talk to her friends, and find out what stores she likes. If I bring her a trucker hat from the gas station I'm not going to be "appreciated for trying."

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Take her to the new orleans cooking school in the French Quarter. I went down there a couple of weekends ago and had the best gumbo of my life. It was a fun time (even hungover).

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Okie has it right. Make the gumbo yourself and don't bother to teach her. Instead, think of a dish she makes well and use that as an example of something she does better than you, and you would never think to try it because she makes it better. There are some things that people do better than others.

6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

I know how to make gumbo, my dad and I make together outside on the propane tank with the huge pot.

But I got smart with her just ruffle her feathers, cause Im just that kinda guy:grin:

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Every guy is just that kinda guy, Mastermind. Women are the same way; it's just the nature of the battle of the sexes.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yep. I have a cousin in Alabama who makes what she calls gumbo. It's actually pretty damn tasty, but it's what we would call chicken stew. I just tell her its damn good stew and she's happy. She can call it Ralph for all I care.

But it would do no good whatsoever to give her a creole gumbo recipe. It's been tired. She would just laugh at and ignore about a third of the ingredients, "countrify" the procedure, and make a damn fine chicken stew.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I did that with my mother-in-laws enchilada recipe. I call it a hamburger.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

my mom used to cook something with wieners and potatoes and red sauce. then you'd eat it over rice. stuff was pretty awesome but i dont know how to make it nor have i seen it anywhere else. i guess you'd have to be poor and creative.

i guess i should ask her for the recipe.