Guitar Players Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 21, 2017.

1. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

shane0911 likes this.
  2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Keith Richards is about as generic a sound as there is.
    Like he bought the book “Rock Guitar for Dummies” and then never experimented past that.

He’s damn good at what he does, but he doesn’t do anything that hasn’t been done by every swinging dick to play a guitar.

Every high school garage band covers The Stones and can make it sound “good enough” because there isn’t anything to it.

Almost nobody covers Pink Floyd because they can’t mimic Gilmour close enough to sound worth a damn.

Listen to a clip of Richards playing a riff you’ve never heard before (without knowing it’s him), and by sound alone you won’t know it’s Keith. It could be anybody.

Now do the same thing with Gilmour. You instantly know it’s him.

tigermark and shane0911 like this.
  3. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

talent not required

shane0911 likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You misunderstand. There are a lot of talent people doing things I wouldn't want to watch or hear. I'm sure the best soccer players are enormously talented at what they do but soccer is boring. Opera singers have great voices but I hate opera. If I want to hear a fat lady sing I'll go to a karaoke bar and get drunk. The most talented guitarist in the world might be some classical guitar player but that kind of music is not my cup of tea.

I'm not saying Gilmour isn't talented but i have never been a fan of Pink Floyd. Listening to Keith Richard's is more entertaining. And he is talented.

See my top 10 list of the greatest guitar players. I can't believe I left Chuck Berry off the list but who do I bump?

VHSTigerGrad likes this.
  5. VHSTigerGrad

VHSTigerGrad Freshman

I had to use Google to find out who Pink Floyd was. On a side note, I was surprised by the number of R&B players on the list.

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

may i ask how old (young) are you to not at least know who Pink Floyd is?

I mean Dark Side of the Moon is one of only 5 albums in the entire history of recorded music to sell 45 million+ copies.
    It holds the record for most time spent on Billboard charts. By a lot. Like, it has an almost 3 YEAR lead on next longest.

They’re in the top 10 in total record sales all-time for all genres of music. And behind only The Beatles and Led Zeppelin when listing only rock groups.
    They’ve sold 50 million more total albums than The Stones despite only releasing about half as many Studio albums.

even if you don’t like them, how can you not have heard of them to the point of having to google it?

shane0911 likes this.
  7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

back in the day, i was a big NBA fan.
    Loved the Knicks. John Starks was a thrill to watch.
    If i had a choice, i wasn’t watching The Bull, Celtics, Lakers, Pacers, etc.
    I was watching Starks play.

But there is no way in hell can i honestly rank him above: Jordan, Bird, Magic, Reggie, etc.

And i say this as someone who despises Reggie Miller so deeply that if he was on fire, i wouldn’t beat it out with a chain.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. VHSTigerGrad

VHSTigerGrad Freshman

Never was a fan of '70s psychedelic rock bands.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

i get that.
    i’m saying they were (and still are) a big enough name that i’m not sure how someone could not at least know who they are.

i mean i’ve never watched a single round of Golf in my life, but i know who Tiger Woods is.
    Pelé in soccer
    Earnhardt in NASCAR
    Andre Agassi in tennis
    etc.

never watched any of the above, nor do i ever care to.
    But they’re all brand names that are big enough to be widely known even by those that don’t follow that profession.

10. VHSTigerGrad

VHSTigerGrad Freshman

Why are you so fascinated with the fact that I don't know nor do I care who Pink Floyd was? It's no big deal to me.