Guilty

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Aug 21, 2018.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Did not know that.

I take it back @LaSalleAve barackmehd stands as the lone dirtbag

uscvball likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

As with most things these days, it's a case of no matter what he does.....

Had he gone, obliterated. Not going....obliterated. Lefties telling him how to grieve or react. Good God....go grieve and quit talking about it.

shane0911 likes this.
  3. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I actually wonder if Trump told them not to fly half staff today or if he said nothing and they did it without direction not knowing what to do. I mean, aren't there more important things he must deal with than how the flag is flown? Its fixed now but everyone is going to make a big deal of it no matter what.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How long are they supposed to fly the flag when a senator dies?

5. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

I don't care. Way too many politicians get treated like super special human beings. They lie in State, and 'a nation mourns', and next will come statues, then their names on bridges, buildings, etc...and then their libraries for the letters, etc. This politician worshiping is unhealthy for our country.
    I'm indifferent towards John McCain as a politician. Seemed like a typical establishment kind of guy.

I respect his service, and from what i read he was a war hero. But i don't need to see statues of him, and his face chiseled on Mt. Rushmore, or hours and hours of news and specials because he was a POW and a politician. Our nation has millions of war heros - many returned alive and many did not. They all deserve their face chiseled on Mt. Rushmore and a statue.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Trump's existence is viewed negatively by the left.

el005639, uscvball, Bengal B and 3 others like this.
  7. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I have no idea - is there a set amount of time listed somewhere?

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Yes there’s a standard and to be fair Trump followed the minimum for a senator. There is also custom and respect which said it should remain through the funeral. As usual Trump couldn’t help but show his pettiness.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Not listed. The POTUS makes a proclamation to have it lowered. The amount of time can vary, however, traditionally, when a sitting Senator dies, it stays lowered until after burial.

* Correcting myself...it is listed.

"In fact, however, the White House’s decision to raise the flag on Monday morning was in exact accordance to the country’s official guidelines for flying the flag at half-staff. The nonbinding U.S. Flag Code, adopted in 1942, dictates that when a member of Congress dies, the flag should be lowered “on the day of death and the following day.” A similar proclamation about flag display made by President Dwight Eisenhower in 1954 and amended in 1969 to include members of Congress recommends the same duration."

The tradition for the longer period has more to do with the prominence of the person. I think most would agree that McCain was of national significance.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Pettiness? McMcain was a war hero of the highest order yes but he was also a petulent ass. That little performance with thumbs down vote with a grin on his face to keep Obamacare was a slap in the face to his party and country. I admired him as a soldier but not as a politician.