Guess who ate at the Abita Springs cafe today?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

you should probably move this post over to the main forum where they have threads going about the officiating.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

How do you do that? I posted it here because he's just another one of my interesting customers.

3. KyleK

A mod could move it. I would just copy and paste it as a reply in one of those threads.

4. stevescookin

Well, today (the day after the worst loss in the history of LSU/Ole Miss) was an interesting one at the cafe. Two of my Gump customers came in and were very consoling to me about our coaching situation. One said he was betting that we would get rid of Miles in the next few years. The other said he felt bad about the way we lost because it was definitely going to hurt our recruiting. They were both respectful.

Then, in comes Scott Skene (mentioned above) who was an assistant football coach at Alabama during the Stallings/Curry/DeBose era. He told me that he had NEVER seen anything like that in his whole life as a coach. I told him that there was a Hondouran lady who coaches the girls' eighth grade soccer team at the local catholic grammar school who probably had a better understanding of American football and game management than the LSU coaching staff. He was as perplexed as I was about the game.

But right after he left, a nice dignified elderly lady who requires a sitter because she has early Alzheimer's like symptoms came in after Mass let out from the Catholic church down the block. This sweet, afflicted, old lady looked me in the eye and said..."What the hell was Miles thinking last night?".

I just about died laughing and said "Miles???...thinking???".

true story

5. stevescookin

Another poster from here at TigerForums came in to eat at the Cafe today Houtiger and his wife and son came in after visiting with some of their family here on the Northshore.

We were really swamped at the cafe and I was caught not well prepared. We had been closed for a week and today was the first day back since Christmas eve. Usually business starts off slowly after a layoff, and ramps back up to normal in a few days...so today we had to work like Rats on Crack in order to serve everybody.

Fortunately, Rich, Jean and their son came in just as we were slowing down (around 1:00pm) and this allowed us time to visit and talk about our families and careers. We also were able to talk about why we got interested in the website. Both of us had not followed LSU for around 10 years and came to TF in order to help follow recruiting, the players, and coaches. We also reminisced about the old days, but surprisingly we didn't touch on last nights game much at all. Life goes on !!

They ordered a special I've been having lately...Crab cake Benedict. This is a layered plate with English Muffins, crab cakes, a crabmeat bechemel sauce, poached eggs topped with a Hollandaise sauce. Their son had an omelet with mushrooms, tomatoes, yellow and green onions and crawfish. They told me that they would post here later on about their visit to the cafe.

It always is a treat for me to meet fellow posters in person and I hope to meet more of you and your families soon. (Rich confided to me that I was the first person from the forum he had met face to face.)

6. KyleK

Dang Steve, you let him order what he wanted? I remember you cancelled what I ordered and brought me what you thought I should have! :lol:

Gotta admit though, it was all great.

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i hope he wasnt riding a bike. :hihi:

sorry, hou, i just had to. :grin:

8. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

We had a MOST ENJOYABLE visit with Steve at the Abita Springs Cafe, if you are in the area, it is a "must see" place! The crab cakes were excellent. I met Steve's wife and daughter who is on her way back to Calgary for a while. I intentionally went a little late, and sure enough, the place was packed when we arrived, but folks were finishing up their meals and making trails. Then Steve and I got to visit for about a half hour, and it was most enjoyable! Thanks for a great meal and visit!

And Okie, no bike!!!

9. stevescookin

I had to let Houtiger order what he wanted because he's older than me and my momma raised me to respect old age !!:lol:.

If I remember right, Kyle, all you wanted to order was one scrambled egg white and a class of water with lemon because you thought you forgot your wallet...but you found it in the bottom of your "man purse".:hihi:.:eek:.

1 person likes this.
  10. KyleK

ROFL! Good one old guy!