Guess who ate at the Abita Springs cafe today?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by stevescookin, Apr 19, 2009.

1. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Black olive omelettes are "mo betta with feta not chedda!!"

2. stevescookin

There is going to be a nice little music and food festival in Abita Springs in June and it's free !! :thumb:. Those of you who live nearby may want to plan a day trip to the area. Here's a press release about the Gospel Music festival. It's at the Trailhead museum in beautiful downtown Abita by the traffic circle.

I'll be serving Couchon du Lait po boys at the festival and the Cafe will be open for business as well if you prefer Eggs Sardou or Crab cake Benedicts, etc.

Hey Steve. Please send this out to your millions of fans

The Abita Springs Gospel Music Jubilee sponsored by the Abita Springs Opry and the Abita Springs "Friends of the Park" has been rescheduled for Sunday, June 6. The Festival will take place in the Afternoon from 1-7PM at the Abita Springs Trailhead. The event features all Gospel music, food and arts and crafts vendors. Featured acts: The Mighty Supremes and the Rosettes, 1-2P.M., Melanie Rainwater and Southern Rain, 2:15-3:15P.M., The Unstoppable Gospel Creators, 3:30-4:30P.M.; The French Market All Stars, 4:45-5:45; the Zion Harmonizers, 6-7P.M. Admission is FREE!

The Zion Harmonizers with Aaron Neville:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agtfg_l4TLc[/media]

The Zion Harmonizers version of Jesus on the mainline:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey4Go3x_hbA[/media]

The Mighty Supremes:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOoQ1gUe5_Y[/media]

The Unstopable Gospel Creators:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-jmaFXjpU[/media]

Melanie Rainwater and Southern Rain at last year's Jubilee in Abita:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqGrmggTduQ&feature=related[/media]

3. stevescookin

Couchon du Lait Po boys...Hmmm...I guess that means I'm a member of friends of the PARK and not "friends of the PORK" :rofl:.

Seriously, You'll see world class talent like that which performs at the Jazzfest...but instead of paying hundreds of dollars...It's free !!

Those of you who have families should take notice of this great little Jubilee because you can bring your family, spend a wonderful day with them for little or nothing. The music starts at 1:00pm and if any of you were planning to come to the cafe...come for breakfast beforehand and I'll treat all your grammar school age kids to a free pancake at the cafe. :thumb:

I'm just past the traffic circle next to the snowball stand by town hall. You can walk to the festival from the cafe and leave your car parked where it is.

There's also a great children's museum next to the cafe.

I forgot to mention that there's a wedding vow renewal ceremony at the festival (so if you're there at that time, you might want to be standing near your wife)

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm there.

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Damnit. We are coming on the 8th. Can you get them to postpone til the next weekend? :)

6. stevescookin

I haven't posted here in a while because we've been so busy lately so I'll try to keep up with some of our famous and interesting guests who we were able to serve in the cafe.

I had the pleasure of meeting with a very, very nice couple from North Carolina, Helen and William Cooper. We were discussing sports in general and the upcoming game with the University of North Carolina. It turns out that Mr. Willie played basketball for the tar heels on the freshman team...back in the days when freshmen could not play varsity ball (before redshirts). I was pretty impressed.

We then started talking about how our daughters played basketball. I told him that my daughter was on the freshman team at Fontainbleu High School here on the northshore....and this was the first time she had ever played basketball or any other competitive sports. The Coopers told me that their daughter, Tonya, played a lot of hoops.

If you're really into women's basketball, maybe you recognize the name Tonya Cooper.

She started on the UNC national championship women's team in the 93-94 season. I was really blown away. Can you imagine what it's like to have one of your children actually play on a National Championship team? Wow!!

[​IMG]

here's a pic of Tonya with her team. Way to go Tonya !!

7. stevescookin

It's been a while since I posted about who came in to join us for breakfast. Today, one of my customers came in and he was pretty big. I was joking with some ladies at one of the tables not to get fresh with me because my bodyguard was in the house...and I pointed right at the big guy and said..."All I have to do is just give him the word and he'll bounce you right outta here". After some giggles and laughs all around the big guy stood up and he was really tall. Admitting that he was 6'8" and about 270 lbs, I asked him if he played basketball. He said, "No college football. I was an offensive guard". When I asked him where he played, he said ":lsup:" !! He originally went to Vanderbilt University (under Gerry Dinardo) and transferred from there to LSU where Dinardo was soon named head coach.

It turns out he played in the mid '90s.....Trey Champagne from Covington High School treated his mom for breakfast. I told him about this website and he said he'd take a look. Maybe he'll post something about his time at the cafe.

I'm lucky, because he said he's broken chairs before...and mine are delicate bentwood caneback chairs.

8. stevescookin

PodKatt finally came by the cafe for lunch and I forgot what he ate so I'll ask him to make a post here to let you guys how everything went. I wish we had time for a few down at the Abita Brew Pub, but he had to get back to Lafayette.

If anyone lives near the Covingyon-Mandeville-Abita Springs area, definitely come by...I get a real kick out of meeting you guys and get to know the person to associate with the screen name.

I hope to see Jetstorm soon...he's from Pearl River...I hope he brings his family.

9. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

Did she come by?

[​IMG]

Police say naked woman stole taxi - WAFB Channel 9, Baton Rouge, LA |

10. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Man what's up with people on the north shore getting naked. Remember the guy who broke into a house naked and cooked him a meal. And I thought downtown was crazy.

Lucky cabbie FTW.