Great interview with Joe Burrow in The Advocate

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Oct 7, 2019.

1. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Can't read it. You have to be a subscriber.

3. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

That's strange; you should be able to access it. I am not a subscriber.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I just read it about a half hour ago, I wish we had him for a couple of more seasons.

Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Never know when it will let you read a story. Download the app and you can read all with no problems.

northernvatiger likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Here you go.

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow answered a number of questions from the media ahead of the Tigers' home game against Florida this weekend.

Burrow weighed in on the value of Lloyd Cushenberry, personal and team growth since the last Florida game, and what animal would win in a matchup between a tiger and an alligator.

Short answer: a tiger.

Read and watch the full interview below.

It seems like even when you guys put up pretty big numbers, you’re pretty hyper-critical of the offense. How much of it is because you feel like you guys haven’t really been tested until what you have coming up this weekend and beyond?

I don’t think it’s that, I think it’s just playing up to our potential, You know, if we want to get where we want to go, we have to get better. If we’re satisfied with the performances that we have every Saturday, then we’re not going to get any better throughout the week.

Can you describe the value that Lloyd Cushenberry has to this team?

You can’t put it into numbers. He’s a great leader, a great player, an even-keeled presence throughout the entire team. I don’t know where we would be without Lloyd, to be honest.

A year has passed since you went to Florida, a difficult game, how would you describe the evolution of the offense between that game and the game coming up?

(Laughing) How long do you have? I mean, it’s not the same offense. I feel like we put up the most points through five games in SEC history, we have explosive playmakers all over the field. I think the biggest step we’ve taken has been up front; those guys have been playing their tails off for us. They worked really hard in the offseason and this will be a big test for them.

Rankings don’t necessarily matter at this point in the season, but last year you guys were undefeated, ranked No. 5, this season obviously undefeated and ranked No. 5, how much different does this team feel confidence-wise?

I think we’re way better than we were last year and they’re way better than they were last year, too. They have some really good players all over the field; we’re going to have our hands full.

Can't see video below? Click here.

Advertisement: 1:03

Do you feel like last year’s game you were still trying to feel things out, weren’t you?

Yeah, we had chances to win that game throughout the entire … I mean, we had a chance to put them away early and we didn’t do it. Then, we let then hang in there, hang in there, and they ended up beating us. So we’re going to have to come out firing and keep it going through the whole game.

How much are you guys using last year’s game as a point of emphasis or motivation for Saturday’s game?

Last year was last year. Did they beat us? Yeah. Could we have won? Yes. But it’s a top-10 matchup in Baton Rouge on a Saturday night. You know, we all don’t really think too much about last year. We’re going to go back and study it … see what they did, see what worked because they might go back to it. But we’re not going to dwell on it.

Attached Files:

COTiger likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That did beat us pretty good last year.

The Barbershop suffered some big losses from last year in Garrett (Brumfield), John Battle. Have you kind of taken the torch with that?

There haven’t been a lot of existential conversations this year. I know I miss that, I do.

So, a gator vs. a tiger. Who do you take in that matchup?

A gator stands no chance. Just go look at the videos on YouTube.

You’ve gotten questions about trying to score points against a team like Texas, but in a game like this how excited are you to have a litmus test almost against a defense that’s been this solid?

The real season starts now, we’re in SEC play. Those first five games were nice to kind of get our confidence going, but this is when the real season starts and this is when the big-boy football is played.

Coach O said the crowd may have rattled you guys last year and the opposite may be true this time around, that Tiger Stadium may have that affect on them.

Yeah, all those Cajuns are sure going to show up this Saturday and I’m excited to see it.

You don’t make these decisions, but you do talk to the coaches a lot, but whether the results the offense had against Florida and Alabama, in particular, provided any impetus or urgency to make the requirements that you guys have made from then to now?

It probably did a little bit, but watching all the offense around the country, we needed to make a change. We weren’t going to be able to compete for SEC titles, national championships, if we didn’t make that change. It’s been a credit to our maturity, a credit to Coach O and Coach E (Ensminger) and Coach Joe (Brady) to what we’ve been doing so far. We’ve just got to keep it rolling.

Thaddeus Moss said that you guys put up a “quiet” 600 yards on Saturday against Utah State. What’s that say for an offense that doesn’t have its best day but still puts up those kinds of numbers?

We’ve come a long way, haven’t we? We’re upset about a 600-yard performance at LSU. But we left a lot of points out there, a lot of yards as well. So we’re not going to be able to play like we did on Saturday against Florida; we’ve going to have to be on our “A” game.

COTiger and Winston1 like this.
  7. COTiger

8. COTiger

Thanks. Do you a link for that app you mentioned?

9. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I had that problem and someone told me to clear my cache and cookies and was able to read again so you might try that

10. COTiger

Thanks. I tried that. No luck.