Great, as if the gumps needed more help

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by shane0911, Sep 15, 2021.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Y’all just happen to have a genius running the ship.

XXL TideFan and shane0911 like this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Right, that kind of supports my point to an extent. These kids are irrational for going there to begin with if they’re not ok with sitting on the bench and potentially never seeing the field in a starting 11 role. I don’t have the data, but I recall a number of 5 stars leaving after years of not seeing the field (Ben Davis comes to mind). My point is why would these guys go there to risk not playing because of the competition when they could play at another high level school and be pretty certain to get snaps. That’s my take at least.

3. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Pro v con is obviously a subjective decision. But I would never risk not playing for my career to go to the best football program. I’d rather go to Ohio State and ensure a starting role for at least a few years than go to Bama and potentially never start. That seems quite risky to me. But again, subjective.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Medical retirement. Okay...gotta put a name there, Brian.

"...chosen not to do it..." <translated> Aren't able to manage rosters as well as other schools.

They're not very good at their jobs if this is truly the case.

Rule 15.5.6.4.1. Share it with these anaysts and experts. It's just one example.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Ben Davis was a grad transfer. He was banged up, a lot, during his time in Tuscaloosa. What's wild about his story is he would have stayed there's a good chance he'd be getting a hell of a lot of playing time on the strong side.

Why do these 5 star kids sign?

• Alabama has signed 41 draft-eligible five-stars since 2008. Those players were picked in the first-round of the NFL Draft at a 48.8% clip. The other 285 five-stars who didn’t sign with Alabama? They were selected in the first-round at an 18.3% rate. You read that correctly: A five-star who picks Alabama in the Saban era is more than doubly likely on average to be a first-round pick compared to college football as a whole.
    https://247sports.com/Article/Colle...t-results-Alabama-Clemson-football-166350240/

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

A starting job at Ohio State is easier than Alabama. Hmm. There's a take.

There's been a few guys who have left the program that have gone on to do pretty well. The majority had carried the same issues that kept them off the field in Tuscaloosa to their next stop. It's easy to research.

This is interesting: "But I would never risk not playing for my career to go to the best football program." Who are you talking about? And more importantly, how is this different than any other school? What you're saying is lost on me. There are players signing with every school that don't see the playing field because they don't develop.

8. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Since I haven’t looked at the data, I can’t say that you’re wrong that the majority who don’t see playing time weren’t prevented from seeing the field due to competition. That being said, Ben Davis is a good example of my point. He signed with Alabama as the 10th best player in the country in 2016 (https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool). He subsequently failed to get significant playing time and transferred out as a redshirt senior. What other school can you think of that he wouldn’t have started sooner at? I have a have a hard time believing he wouldn’t have played a lot more at 95% of DI schools. Seems disadvantageous for him to have chosen Alabama. And I can’t find a record of him being hurt a lot.

My overarching point is that when the roster is so saturated that even some of the best aren’t making the cut, seems irrational for the fringe 4 star to go there and grey shirt to maybe see starting time in 5 years as a senior. There’s no doubt Saban churns our NFL talent like a factory. But there are only 22 starting spots for year on offense and defense.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

None, unless those schools were going to start a guy who was injured. Ben was banged up more than he was healthy in his time in Tuscaloosa. It's a bit ironic you mention Ben because with Allen's injury there's a good chance he'd get a few starts this season (depending on set. He would have agains Mercer where they were in base the majority of the time.)

10. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member