GoT Season 5 (warning: Spoilers)

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 12, 2015.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

LOL

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There was never enough Arya in this season.

No Ghost . . . that may be significant. They have downplayed all of the direwolves lately, so I expect they will have warg significance in the future for Arya, Bran, Rickon, and . . . who else?

Yep, Stannis was committing suicide by battle. Better than the book where he wins at Deepwood Motte and by the time he gets near Winterfell, his army is depleted, his supplies exhausted, and his army is trapped by the snow, where he awaits his fate.

They are running out of Baratheons. His value will rise. Varys knows who he is.

The Dothraki Horde was good CGI though.

Of course, she wants revenge against him for humiliating her. Dorne may finally get interesting. Jamie is going to cut out Elaria's heart left-handed with Valerian steel and Bronn wants the nasty pussy.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So what is everyone's Jon Snow theory? Is he gone forever, Will Melisandre revive him?

I keep coming back to the phrase "kill the boy so the man can be born". Is Jon Azor Ahai reborn from smoke and salt? blood is salty, the wound smoked. Is Longclaw the fiery sword?

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

John Snow may be coming back. We'll know soon enough when they post the cast for season 6 on imdb. Grantland has a nice wrapup of the episode. Fuck Stannis. That scene with his daughter was actually hard for me to watch. Almost fast forwarded it. So we are at the end of the latest book correct? Martin has to get writing to get the next season on time?

Would anyone recommend reading the books after having watched the show. I suspect Lasalle will but I would rather hear from someone a little less contemptuous about the show.

Oh, and by the way, True Detective starts next week!

5. LaSalleAve

I loved this show up until last season. Now I like it but, I'm very jaded. It would be easier to read it after watching the show because you are now familiar with areas and names.

The first 3 books are fantastic, but 4 is hard to finish and 5 is pretty good.

Red is gonna tell you that Martin is a shitty writer and he has too many subplots. I kinda agree with him on the subplots, some are awesome some are shit.

Oh and I wouldn't count on IMDB, they also had Michelle Fairley for episode 10 cast as a "hooded woman"

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

He is dead. The writers and Martin say he will not be back for season 6. But what about season 7 when the big battle between the White Walkers and everybody else must be fought? Did he whisper "Ghost" as he died. I think he will become a warg and Ghost/Jon may become a point-of-view character later on.

The books are worth reading IF you enjoy long tedious stories. if you liked reading The Bible or War and Peace you might love them. Comparatively Lord of the Rings moves along at a fast pace and keeps your interest up more effectively. Martin is fabulous at inventing interesting characters and has a good turn of phrase, but he does not allow you to become comfortable with any character. His plots are convoluted, sub-plots numerous, and the pace is glacially slow. You will be tempted to skip entire chapters to get back to the arcs that appeal to you more quickly. You will constantly have to go back and look up a name because there are literally over a thousand characters, many with similar names and some with the same name in the many tedious flashbacks to ancient ages that the TV show thankfully dispenses with.The first book has seven point-of-view characters. The last book has thirty-eight. It takes so long to get back to some story arcs that you can't perceive good continuity.

It might be better to read the books after the TV series because you will have a better idea of who to pay attention to and who to simply forget because they are dead-ends and red herrings that will never re-enter the story. I've thought of listening to the audiobooks on some future driving vacation now that I know which scenes I can just hit "SKIP" on. There are some interesting elements dropped from the show that are worth reading.

7. LaSalleAve

He is dead, but he can be brought back. There are also pictures on the Internet of Kit all over Belfast yesterday where they shoot the Wall, and they are about to start filming 6. Seriously would they say he is coming back if he was? Prob not.

8. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

As a show watcher only, I think the title could be "F the Starks" or "The Fate of the Starks" or "If you like a Stark, Forget it!"

9. LaSalleAve

Lol, Stark Raving Dead.

Tiger Exile likes this.
  10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

So does LaSalle