Military Good read on the A-10 that crosses multiple threads.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Tiger Exile, Jan 22, 2015.

1. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Safe for now, budget just approved new wings for a bunch of planes, that was big issue with all the
    people trying ot get rid of it. Vice CC of ACC is in big trouble for calling those that speak to their elected reps about all the BS going on behind the scenes, traitors. Hope they shitcan him fast.

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I spent a significant portion of my Air Force career trying to sustain the F-4 (mostly C models) and keep them flying rather than sitting on the ground. That probably explains why I don't have any hair.

red55 and shane0911 like this.
  3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

If anyone has an online subscription for Aviation History there is a great article this month on the A4.
    "When they U.S. Navy first approached Douglas to design a new carrier-based strike jet, capable of carrying a 2,000-lb payload up to 300 nautical miles with a max speed of 500 knots and a max takeoff weight of no more than 30,000 lbs, Heinemann confidently predicted that he could deliver....range and payload weighing less than half the requirements with a top speed 90 knots faster. Admiral Thomas Combs emphasized that 'it absolutely must not exceed $1M per copy'. Heinemann's team delivered on every promise."

Definitely the Golden Age of flight. Heinemann was a high school dropout but had that knack for engineering....and people

Tiger Exile likes this.
  4. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

5. COTiger

They are bringing it back to replace one that was damaged in a fire and was deemed to be beyond economical repair.
    Years ago when I was visiting our location at Diego Garcia, a squadron (I think) of BUFFs was deployed there. I got to see them up close on the ground, taking off, and landing. Hell of an airplane.

6. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I was a TACP in the Air Force. We were attached to Army units to act as forward observers and to call in close air support when needed. The A-10 is, without a doubt, the toughest damned jet in the US arsenal. That 30mm gun mounted on the front is an absolute tank killer and their toughness and ability to fly while severely wounded is legendary. If I were pinned down and needed CAS and could only pick one jet to arrive in theater it would be the A-10.

7. COTiger

I'm pretty sure I know what the TA stands for, Tactical Air. How about the CP?

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Tactical Air Control Party. Our career field identifier was 275 but when they changed to the Air Force Specialty codes I think it was changed to 1C4 but don't quote me on that...it's been a few years since then.....20 or so to be exact

9. COTiger

I know what you mean. I retired in '86. Thank you for your service. And yes, the Hog is one mean MFing tank killer. When I was on active duty in the mid '80s I got to go down range from Ft. Carson and see them do their thing. Hell of a show.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  10. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker