Good morning, Baltimore. Confederate statues came down overnight.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Why? They don't offend me nor hardly anyone else.

2. DeeDee

DeeDee Veteran Member

Didn't the Romans run their empire on slaves and many died in the Colosseum? That does not offend you?

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Yes they did. Lots of slaves, slaves were a very popular currency and Caesar even gifted his soldiers slaves during the invasion of Gaul.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So there are some righties in front of a Lenin statue in Seattle wanting it torn down @GiantDuckFan youre gonna have to explain that one sometime being that's your vicinity, and there are no lefties giving 2 shits. Odd right?

5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

No.

6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

OK now I have had it
    200w-1.gif

7. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

[​IMG]
    16 ft bronze sculpture of revolutionary communist founder Vladimir Lenin completed in 1988 in Czechoslovakia, and displayed there until it was taken down shortly before the Revolutions of 1989. It was bought by an American in 1993, who moved it to Washington. Since 1995 it has been up for sale and on display in an outdoor retail property in a neighborhood of Seattle.

:cool: Someone bought it hoping to make money. American capitalism on display,.. how ironic.

Cool statue, great artwork.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Tiger in NC likes this.
  8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Yes you have. You keep insinuating that I am for the removal of all statues and I never said that, you did.

Here is the story of the statue in Seattle which I am sure you never bothered to research. It was purchased by a private citizen who passed away and his family has put it on display as a means of selling it. But you were so ginned up to make a political point you never took the time to check if your source was a bad one. Sloppy Winston......very sloppy.
    How this rare statue came to Fremont
    This cast bronze sculpture of Vladimir Lenin was created by Emil Venkov, who appears on the left, a Slavic artist who has worked in bronze for over thirty years and who is widely exhibited in Europe and the United States.

One of a kind
    [​IMG]Weighing over 7 tons, the sculpture took ten years to complete and was installed in Poprad, Slovakia in 1988. It is unique. We believe it is the only representation portraying Lenin surrounded by guns and flames instead of holding a book or waving his hat. The sculptor, while fulfilling the requirements of his state commission, was nevertheless able to express his vision of Lenin as a violent revolutionary; not just an intellectual and theoretician.

Lewis Carpenter
    An American veteran teaching in Poprad, Lewis Carpenter found the sculpture lying face down after it was toppled in the 1989 Revolution. He recognized Venkov’s skill and craftsmanship and the boldness of his portrayal, and was determined that the statue be preserved. Carpenter mortgaged his house to acquire the sculpture and brought it back to Issaquah. He died in 1994. The statue is now owned by his family. It is sited here temporarily for viewing and sale, both to fulfill Carpenter’s dream, that the work be seen and enjoyed and eventually find a permanent home and to serve as a reminder of an important historical period.

These are numbers for the entire state of Louisiana. In the two parishes that actually make up NOLA, it was more like 50% supported the removal with 31% opposing it and another 19% who had no opinion.
    http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...cle_675e5ada-c7d5-52cf-89ba-96b062f0c82c.html
    "Overall, about 50 percent of voters support removing the monuments, 31 percent oppose it and 19 percent offered no opinion."
    This is a considerable difference and yet another example of you picking and choosing your numbers to fit your narrative.

This entire argument was predicated upon the phony numbers you presented so I'll not offer a response to this hogwash. I stand behind my original point that removal should be left to those who live under it's shadow and not to the peanut gallery.

9. Tiger in NC

this is a very good post and I wholeheartedly agree that there is an element of the left who will never be satisfied. i was going to quote Lee about whether there should be statues erected to confederate leaders but i'm glad you beat me to it.

10. Tiger in NC

I just posted on this Lenin statue after learning about it from @Winston1. If you will go back a page or two you will see what the origins of the statue are and why it is currently sitting in a public place in Seattle. This is nothing more than the rights attempt to try and create a moral equivalence, to say, "oh yeah, well they are doing it too!" Unfortunately, many like Winston have shit themselves trying to score a political point with this Lenin statue when in fact it is privately owned and is only on display so that the family of the man who purchased it and died can sell it.

Rex and GiantDuckFan like this.