Good morning, Baltimore. Confederate statues came down overnight.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

But before the removal of statures became the cause celebre of the month with the libtard groupthinkers you never thought to be insulted as you walked past statues of Civil War generals on the way to your daily panhandling spot.

Winston1 likes this.
  2. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

3. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Winston, I believe you have confused my disputing Trump's statement about Jefferson and Washington with the belief that I support the removal of all statues and I do not. I did not like his comparison of Washington and Jefferson with Lee and Jackson and still believe that there is no parallel between the two other than the fact that they all owned slaves. If you will go back and look at the thread you will see That being said, I will answer your question about the statue of Lenin in Seattle, even though I had no idea there was a statue of Lenin there, and I am not sure why it is there. I view it just the same as I view the confederate statues: leave it up to the people who live there. There is a statue of a confederate soldier in Lexington, NC where one of my furniture stores is located. I've passed that statue for several years and never even realized it was there. Does it offend me? No it doesn't. Nor has there been any protest or demonstration demanding that it be taken down. Should that one be taken down just because statues are coming down in NOLA, Baltimore and other places? In my opinion, no. If you look, you will notice that the places where statues have been removed are areas where there is a heavy minority influence.

On a side note I am interested to read more about this statue of Lenin in Seattle that I didn't know existed.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

How many members of those minorities were offended by the statues before somebody told them they should be? I have seen large numbers of black people as well as whites and latinos all enjoying the Mardi Gras parades from a prime viewing location - Lee Circle where the statue of Robert E. Lee once stood.

Me too. I know Seattle is a pretty liberal city but I didn't think they were Communists.

5. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Wrong. I've always been offended by those statues. Once I got out of high school and started reading past Louisiana public school indoctrination I have ALWAYS seen Robert E. Lee and Nathan Forrest, etc., as the vile humans they were.

6. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Or, more likely, how many of them have wanted to voice their disapproval for a long time but haven't felt comfortable doing so until now.

7. Rex

Rex Founding Member

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Long answer that says little NC. I didn't confuse anything in any of your comments. I'll refine the question a little and focus on New Orleans as well.
    If the few conservatives in Seattle wanted the statue removed would you support removal? In New Orleans many surveys and polls showed a vast majority (74%) were in favor of the statutes remaining. Even a significant percentage of African Americans (38% or so) supported keeping them up. It is also pretty obvious based on news reports that this was initiated by Miriam as part of a long term plan. In fact there was no movement and little vocal public support from the African American community even after the issue was pushed. So should they have come down with such shallow support? Should a very small minority's opinion rule.

9. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

interesting the moments in time when people felt the need to ramp up building Confederate monuments. Even Robert E. Lee felt that no monuments should be built representing the Confederate past. He felt that in order to move on and heal, the south didn't need the constant reminders of the past. He was right. These monuments represent a wrong and failed idea. Once they are all removed however, the left will find that they are still not satisfied and they will move on to the next symbol that must be destroyed.

[​IMG]

Tiger in NC likes this.
  10. DeeDee

DeeDee Veteran Member

I think that the United States should demand that Italy tear down all of the Roman statues and the Colosseum. Rex would be a good person to push this agenda.