Good morning, Baltimore. Confederate statues came down overnight.

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Rex

Rex Founding Member

2. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Mitch Landrieu said it very well:

"And in the second decade of the 21st century, asking African Americans—or anyone else—to drive by property that they own; occupied by reverential statues of men who fought to destroy the country and deny that person’s humanity seems perverse and absurd."

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

How has this inproved your life? What can you do today you couldnt do before?

All this energy, just think if it was used for cleaning up bad neighborhoods or education.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I was pretty close to Baltimore the other day and Virginia for that matter. Was in Maryland, and back in Delaware but I'm ready to get the hell out of here. Shits going crazy in this part of the country.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

She is hot.

6. Rex

Rex Founding Member

Well, I'm in Richmond right now, and i just walked down Monument Avenue to the Robert E. Lee statue where there is a small group of people, black and white, holding SMILING IS HEALING signs... so it's definitely not all bad.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  7. Rex

Rex Founding Member

How has it diminished yours?

8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Here's the thing: Those people would have gotten along with or without a statue removal. I'm not for or against these statues and monuments coming down. I'm not for or against renaming schools, parks, airports, etc. but my question is this: do you think that by removing American history, however disgusting it may be to some and how pertinent it is to others, changes people's feelings? Does this mean that now all perceived racism ends? And if not, then what will? Because people who think whites are the dominant race, or that people of color should be the kings of the mountain, will always think that. Because the people who didn't live their lives with hate for another persons skin color will still be the same. Those who did, won't change. So dodge the question all you want, but it's a serious question. What will change?

Bengal B and LSUpride123 like this.
  9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

So you dont have an answer?

10. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

Confederate statues, big deal,.. if they stay or go, it's not gonna make anyone's life better or worse. Statues are works of art, I like them and don't want em destroyed, but that's just me.

White supremacists and their ilk, evil people, fuck em, there's not a good one in the bunch. Violent leftists, idiots doing the wrong thing for a right reason, fuck them too, they're hurting their own cause. Racism is bad, anti-racism is not,.. but violence equalizes.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017