Good mixed mess

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jun 25, 2016.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Little windy yesterday early but got a decent box of a few specks and several big white trout and ground mullet. Laid down a little so went to find some state water snapper and found em quick. Took about 20 min to get our limit of only 4 but they were nice for only 8 miles out going 10.13 to 12.55lbs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Nice

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Why in the hell are you worried about "Federal Snapper season" if you can boat 2 like that outside of the season?

tirk likes this.
  4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

musta run out of mullet to eat.

shane0911 likes this.
  5. jvalhenson

Like I've said before it's not the fish that pisses me off about the fed season. It's the ridiculous overreach of the Feds shutting down a public resource to the vast majority of the population so a very few select individuals can make huge profits off of it. Add that in with the various other closures of grouper, triggerfish, amberjack, etc and the way they stagger the season so you can only catch 1-2 at a time making it not worth going after them and it's a a massive abuse of their power over OUR resource. It is 100% about the money and has nothing at all to do with conservation. If the resource is in that much trouble....which it's not they are heavily overpopulated.....why are the extremely few reef permit with snapper quota holders allowed to catch thousands of pounds of snapper every day of the year? Plus they only keep the market desirable 4-8lbers throwing back the bigger breeding size ones by the hundreds to float off and die. If it's in that much trouble fine shut the whole thing down. But they don't do that bc that's not what it's about.

KyleK likes this.
  6. jvalhenson

Def never a problem running out of some biloxi bacon. 1 throw feed the whole camp

KyleK likes this.
  7. LSUTiga

To the point though, you made a thread on last day of Fed Snapper season. So-and-so wanted to go out, your dad hadn't been...whatever, so you go and catch your limits. Season's closed and you do the same. I honestly don't understand.

And btw, game is not "our" anything, really. If you want control over what you harvest go buy some chickens, quail, etc.

8. jvalhenson

Wrong. Game is under the public trust doctrine. It belongs to all of us. Not the Feds, not the states, it belongs to all of us. Not sure it matters so much to you my opinion unless you or someone close to you is tied in with the commercial snapper guys but yes I have very strong feelings of opposition to the Feds massive mismanagement of our public resource and their allowance of a few to profit heavily from it to pad their own pockets. Not sure how I can make it any clearer.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    shane0911 and KyleK like this.
  9. LSUTiga

No sir. Game does not belong to the people. If it did, we wouldn't be having this conversation cause you could catch all you want.

I used to get irritated that I could be told not to frog in April and May when the frog habitat was MINE. My land, my water I paid to pump, etc. Had it not been for what I'd done, there wouldn't have been several hundred frogs in any given 100 acres. I could argue that I helped to increase the population cause you can never catch them all.

You asked so I'll tell you. I have a thing about greed when it comes to game. You're a very good fisherman. You can catch ample for family consumption and then some. I know you're not exceeding the limit but people who want a limit every day- let's just say it's not about recreational hunting/fishing and a love for the outdoors. I'm very conservationist minded. For example, people ask me all the time, "Been catching any turtles?" I usually tell them I'm done for the year cause I only catch what I consume. I don't try to catch one alligator snapper per day.

Matter of fact, the property owners where I catch the big ones would keep asking me when we were going back. I told him I didn't care to take more than one big one out a year. Now the common snappers, I'll take several of those. They have a lot on their property and catch those on the road sometimes.

10. jvalhenson

Make no mistake I am only catching why my family needs. Every ounce gets eaten. Apparently you think I'm a game hog or whatever but you couldn't be more wrong. I get what we need and go home. In the summer that means I get enough to fill the freezer to get through hunting season. You've said several times you don't care about saltwater fish so this issue isn't on your radar. Apparently you would be ok with the govt telling you you can only catch your own white perch, bream, turtles, catfish, crawfish or whatever 1 week a year but you can buy them from someone else year round? As I've said my issue isn't withe the commercial guys or the fish themselves. It's with the fed mismanagement for their own and their buddies profit. And on the game you are most definitely wrong. The game is ours under public trust doctrine. We allow elected officials operating on our behalf to appoint people to decide our how our resource should be managed which is why the gulf states are fighting to get control from the Feds on this(or so they claim) but when the pockets of senators from North Dakota get padded they are going to appoint whoever the money tells them too and since the appointments are done by all the states in that committee at least the gulf states can't just do it on their own. Again this isn't an issue of a fish. This is an issue of massive federal govt overreach and mismanagement for profit. Which you seem to be fine with for some reason. As I've said before if you are interested research Kingpins of the gulf and apparently public trust doctrine. From the public trust doctrine: "Public Trust Doctrine holds that wildlife resources are entrusted to the government to be managed for the public. The people, not Government, owns these resources, but Governement is entrusted with their long-term management and care." It's the abuse of this power for profit where the issue lies. I've said all I can say and this is getting boring. You got the last word if you want it I'm done. Feel free to ignore any of my future posts since the fish I kill apparently upsets you ha ha!