Good luck with Coach O for at least 3 more years

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 1, 2018.

1. kcal

kcal Founding Member

trump is president, not obama

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Man, that's a simplistic view, and you would know how wrong you are if you had been on this board for the last 10 years instead of the last 2. A very small group of people in here were anti-Les Miles from the get-go. But they didn't bitch when he led us to a national championship. By the same token (and there are one or two exceptions) nobody who was totally on-board with champion Miles turned on the team when his deficiencies became obvious. They soured on the coach, not the program. I can tell you for myself, I am a diehard, lifelong Saints fan. With the exception of Payton, there isn't a coach in the 50 year history of the team that I haven't tired of at some point. But I've never pulled against the team. Being anti-Orgeron doesn't make anyone anti-LSU, just as it wasn't the case for anyone who was anti-Miles. You make a very valid point about Orgeron deserving more time to develop the program as he sees fit. You'd do better selling it if you'd debate the point instead of constantly launching personal attacks against anyone who disagrees with you.

Winston1, kcal, Kal-El012 and 7 others like this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Acceleration vs velocity.

4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

You are misunderstanding my post. This is all about from this polnt on and yes the head coach IS the face of the program as far as recruiting, style of play and offensive and defensive schemes. Mostly it's about recruiting the life blood of all programs. Start trashing your head coach so early in his tenure (the trashing is ridiculous and unfounded) as a lot are doing then the recruits will think the head coach and the program is in disarray. You destroy the head coach you destroy the confidence the players have in him. You simply cannot seperate the two.

5. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

The coach and AD have shown there is disarray in the program.

Pjoe, lsu-i-like and kcal like this.
  6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

people on message boards bashed Les Miles when he wore the Madonna headset before the first kickoff of the first game of his career.
    and it never really stopped until he got fired.

if you think that negative message board posts are going to hinder recruiting, you’re just wrong.

TigerTap, lsu-i-like and GiantDuckFan like this.
  7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

@Kikicaca - Hiring Canada turns out to be infinitely more disruptive than chatter in the fan base. A victory over ND would have silenced a lot of criticism.

8. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I don't think he had full control of calling that game

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I see where you're coming from....I just can't agree with you. I don't think we can point to any recruit anywhere & find one saying what fans on the internet said about a coach influenced his decision. Giving the benefit of the doubt that all programs recruit on the up and up, I believe the only influence fans exert over recruits is the atmosphere they create on game day.

Fan concern over where O is going to take LSU is legitimate. You sound supremely confident in him, and I think that's great. You're not the only one. But you can't deny he did not have a stellar resume coming in. You can't deny the university didn't make a very comprehensive search before hiring him. You can't deny that, despite a very good overall record under adverse circumstances in his audition last year, he fell flat on his face in the two contests that fans considered the most critical measuring stick. Finally, you can't deny that the Canada situation gives people legitimate cause to question what goes on behind the scenes in the program. None of that means he can't be successful. Miles' hiring wasn't universally praised with the fanbase, and it didn't keep him from winning one NC and just missing a 2nd.

Fans will always voice their opinions. Being a fan doesn't mean you bow and kow tow to every move your team makes. You hope for success and cheer when it happens, but we as fans aren't obligated to bite our tongues when we don't like the way things are being done.

kcal, Winston1, cul2969 and 4 others like this.
  10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Fans have jack shit to do with recruiting. If that were the case Alabama would have an empty roster.

lsu-i-like and GiantDuckFan like this.