Good, Bad & Ugly- Syracuse

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 24, 2017.

1. leroy7500

leroy7500 Founding Member

We haven't run the jet sweep to the left side so far, so maybe there is something to this
    "Secret Playbook" thing.

2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Fla St is having to play with a third string QB and is not the same team now. NC ST beat them with a lot less overall talent. Not having the right players, enough depth and injuries to key personnel actually DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE MC! That is our problem currently and we are stuck withe the consequences until more players heal, we get young guys experience and recruit better. T A&M would have went 6-6 had Manziel not showed up. Would LSU been as good without LF7 and Guice? dont think so. We are simple not going to be able to run everything we would like to because of this. We scored on long bombs against Cuse because that was there for us. Maybe the short passes is what Cuse was taking away from us. They kept 8 guys in the box to force us to beat them long and we did. Just dont agree with your view MC

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

That may be true slapped down quite a few cocktails Sat night. We are stuck with the dilemma I have been spouting. Until that is corrected I be keeping the liquor stores in business.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  4. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

BTW Mr. Right did you predict the loss to Moo U, I did.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I think you're taking offense to what I'm saying. I am NOT bashing Coach O, simply giving my opinion on the current state of our program. Our HC needs to improve.

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. We can have objective opinions without being nega-tigers or haters.

6. LSU_4_LIFE

The gallop and go! I remember that play. Our offense went to shit the rest of the day after that one play.

7. LSU_4_LIFE

I agree in the philosophy of "taking what the defense gives you". My opinion on that/this is both Caca and MC are correct. An offensive coordinator should always play call to the teams strength and try to stay away from its weaknesses. If the defense is sending the house and/or you have a bad o-line, you cant afford deep drop backs and a lot time for long routes to develop on every snap. If the defense is stacking the box, its not the best play to run into the teeth of it and expect good results.

However, its never good to change your entire game plan after just a few series. You practice your game plan all week and some times its just a matter of poor execution or the opposition just being more prepared. You hear the terms "chess match" quite a bit because that is the job of both the offensive and defensive coordinators. To make adjustments and call plays to counter attack what the opposition is throwing at you. With all that said, if the team cant execute it, it honestly doesn't matter what play you call. I think right now its bad execution, but also if your play calling is putting your team in a position to fail......I'm sure you can guess what the results will be.

I think its a little (or a lot) of both. Coaches still figuring out what their strengths are resulting in what appears to be bad play calls and the team getting whipped at the point of attack and not executing the play that was called. No questions we are weak up front on both sides of the ball and that's hurting bad.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Good: 2 minute drive at the end of each half was pretty nice. Etling is decent when he has time, Brennan looks like he has a promising future.

Other than that spot on.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No doubt, the injuries, the player turnover are a huge factor. That doesn't excuse the coaches not trying to make adjustments when what they're trying obviously isn't working. I'm willing to cut Canada a lot of slack in this matter because of the inexperienced line, and even more for Aranda, because we've seen what he can do when he's got the personnel. But how often were Miles/Cam criticized in here for hindering the offense by recruiting so-called "duel threat" QBs and then trying to shoe-horn them into an I-Formation based offense? This is a different version of the same problem. If you know your lineman can't hold their pass block for more than 2 seconds, don't be wed to a pass game that takes 4 seconds for the QB to get rid of the ball.

StaceyO likes this.
  10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I get what you're saying, but I pointed out after the Chatty game that the pass protection was suspect. That's 3 games now. Do O/Canada/Grimes not see this? I'm not suggesting that they chuck the whole game plan in the 2nd quarter, I'm saying the game plan should be designed to mask this weakness before we ever hit the field. If the game plan is built around 7 yard drop backs and deep throws, that's not happening.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.