Good, Bad & Ugly- Syracuse

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 24, 2017.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

The good -

1. Got a win and hopefully no serious injuries. Hadn't heard an update on Battle but his injury didn't look great.

2. A lot fewer penalties but the one at the end almost cost us. You just cant keep making dumb mistakes. Good to see most got cleaned up however.

3. Tried a new punter. Von Rosenberg looked a lot better than growden. But I'd take their punter over ours.

The bad -

1. The Guice mystery. Is he hurt isn't he hurt. Does he want to play does he not. Does he decide when he plays like fournette did or what. Is the NFL draft on his mind. Feels like hes kinda tuned out but Oeaux needs to figure it out. If he's hurt sit his ass til hes better. Otherwise get him the ball.

2. Gilmore and Arden Key. Not sure what they were doing last night. They took the game off but were still out there. Key is woefully out of shape and well, obviously so is Gilmore forever more.

3. Matt Canada - ok it feels like he could be the latest sheister in our coaching hires. I know the offensive line sucks but shouldn't that mean more quick hits more slants more utilization of the middle of the field. We have no identity on offense even when Guice was a regular.

The ugly -

1. The offensive line. Godawful. Could be the worst performance of an offensive line I've seen here. Run blocking we look unsure who to block. Pass blocking we apparently just let everyone run free and don't even try to get out of our stance. We are horrible. Grimes it may not be you bud, but you gotta go.

2. Lack of interest - how a team responds after a humiliating loss says more about the coaching and team than the loss itself. And we showed zero urgency. Scary the apathy shown at home. The fans responded in kind.

3. State of the program - team looks disjointed. Team looks unprepared. Head coach looks overwhelmed and it's reflected in the players. Coach has no core philosophy and his team has no identity likely because of it. They both need to find themselves before the sec gauntlet begins or it's going to be a very long season for everyone involved.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Add to the good the play of Rashard Lawrence. He played a lot better than I thought he would coming off the injury and even had a sack. Also Greedy Williams returned to Honey Badger mode after taking last week off.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    didit, lsu-i-like and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  3. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Arden Key is SLOW. May need to consider switching him to DE.

O-Line is probably the worst I've seen in a LONG time. That was attrition and we all knew it deep down.

Guice. I haven't a clue, but he isn't the Guice we've seen the last 2 years. Williams hands down should be our featured back. He looks better right now and I don't think it's even debatable.

I liked the adjustments to the passing game as the game went on. I felt like Etling settled down quite a bit and made better throws as the game went on. With the group of 5 O-Line we're fielding adjustments to play calling are a must.

Best Wishes to Battle for a speedy recovery, but I'm not a huge fan. We switched Stevens to WR because of depth at safety, but uh.... what depth? I like Delpit and Vincent but not a fan of John Battle. Regardless though, this secondary is YOUNG! And very well may be one of the best defensive backfields in LSU history in the next 2 years to come. A lot of talent and potential back there.

Leadership! Where is it? Who is the next vocal leader? Especially on defense. Who is the next Jamal Adams and Kendall Beckwith? Not just in terms of talent (those guys are tough to replace) but in terms of being a vocal captain on defense. With that said, I like the way Devin White is developing. We still lack a pass rush too. Another reason I'd move fat boy Arden Key to DE. Getting Lawrence back was and is huge.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

The offense in general, and the line for sure, need work.

It's so bad my three hard core Gump friends have quit trash talking at me. That hurts.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Do you talk trash to a mosquito before you swat it

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

"you mother fucker"

Followed by a smack.

Bengal B likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I only say that to the ones that bite me.

8. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Blah blah blah. Too thin (hence we get tired and dont look good), too injured (hence we are not up to standards and dont look good), too young (hence we make mistakes and dont look good). Things tend look like we are in disarray and bad coaching considering all that. We also looked bad because their QB was taylor made to wear us out, the kid was Johnny Football and could flat out ball. O is doing the right thing playing most of our freshman and giving Brennan reps. This is O's first full year as head coach and HE is building HIS team. Unlike you "coaches" I will wait till the end of the year to judge coaching.

Fire away!

didit, ParadiseiNC and el005639 like this.
  9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I think the D was solid until they got tired. Lack of depth.

:(

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  10. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

Why are you so triggered? I havent read anything anywhere in this thread that attacked or blamed Coach O.

Richdog likes this.