Good, Bad & Ugly- BYU

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Sep 3, 2017.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

The Good

1. Aranda's defense. 97 total yards minus 5 rushing. Didn't cross the 50. 27 players had played by the end of the 3rd qtr. Greedy Williams says hello Mr Tolliver. Corey Thompson with 2 sacks. Taylor and Lawrence are both legit.

2. Running game - when is the last time the opposing team didnt have 8 in the box. Tonight we got 6. Canada decided to run until they changed their look. If it's working keep doing it. Not sure what byu was thinking. Give me guice with the linebackers outside the box all day long.

3. Etling looked poised. Not just throwing but at the line of scrimmage making reads, communicating with the linemen and backs. His arm looked a lot stronger and his wheels looked good to go.
    Coming out of this game with a confident QB is much more important than his stats. 8 diff players caught a pass on 14 completions.

4. Offensive line- opened some holes against a pretty stout d-line. Got a lot of push. Charles whiffed on the 4th and 1 getting Williams stuffed. He's a freshman so expected. Other than a couple of plays I was pretty impressed.

5. Dominating win on all fronts. Team looks a lot faster everywhere this year.

The Bad

1. Presnap penalties. 3 on the first drive. The delay was bs due to the clock operator. 2h was better.

2. Special teams - kickoff placement was terrible. Punt return unorganized. Not feeling chark. Both got corrected 2h.

The Ugly

1.redzone offense. Canada stayed with one look there. He didn't care. Wasn't showing anything. Still need touchdowns

2. 15 players out. 13 suspensions. Have to get on the same page and get this in order so it doesn't cost us an sec game.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Good - CEH and Brennan played significant snaps. O put Guice and Etling up once the game was in hand.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Adding to the good in a very minor yet possibly significant way was the way Myles Brennan ran the last drive with the 3rd and 4th teamers. Moved the ball efficiently and converted a 3rd down with his only pass. I was hoping we would have had a bigger lead earlier in the game. I want to see Brennan for a full quarter and trying to put points on the board rather than just playing put the game.

Maybe if we hang 40 or 50 on Chattanooga by halftime both he and Narcisse can get some valuable minutes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    LSU_4_LIFE, TheRealist and lsu-i-like like this.
  4. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Good analysis overall. RZ offense play calling was part of it, but also a very young O-line that needs to mature. If they had punched it in, we may not be talking about play choices as much. STs deserves a FT coach, imo.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Good points. Just good to see 2nd string QB actually get some playing time in an actual game. Refreshing is the theme word for me with the new leadership in Oeaux Canada.

6. Chipeace

Chipeace Country Roads Tiger

Good - Freshmen stepping up
    Bad- we cannot consistently kick the ball in the end zone.

LSU_4_LIFE, KyleK and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why is Culp kicking off? Gonsulon consistently put thr ball through the end zone in high school.

8. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

A quasi-literate assessment Tirk ...
    Nice Job! But I see you are not yet jumping on the Championship Bandwagon ... Ole Tirk gotta always try to play it cool ... Cool hand

I'll add to your assessment ...

Good

1. A lot more love for Etling's FLAWLESS performance (ESPN ANALYSTS WORDS)
    1 drop ... 1 tipped pass ... 1 throwaway ...
    0 sacks ... 0 intercepts
    2. NO SIGNIFICANT INJURIES ... #1 really
    3. Proven receivers confident and hungry for more besides CHARK ... Dillion & Gage and MOREAU, GUICE, Williams, et al ...
    4. CONFIDENCE IN CANADA'S WRISTBAND SYSTEM ...

BAD & UGLY ... GUICE TOOK 1 SAVAGE CONCUSSION TYPE HIT FROM THE KID THAT GOT EJECTED ... Expect more of those ESP up against Auburn ...

Stupid penalties gotta be cut in half against Chattanooga in the next scrimmage

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ramahllamadingdong is back

10. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

I got your ding dong here Southpark Spanky and it ain't a HOSTESS ...