Golden Nugget releases lines for Week One: LSU giving 13 to BYU.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Because the is a sucker born every minute. There are some people who will think that the line will move in an unfavorable direction for their chosen teams so they want to lock in what they think will be better odds than they could get if they wait until game week.

But mainly the lines are there to get publicity for the book and to get clicks on their website.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Also some of the hardest

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

That's what cali was getting at I figured this was a bit earlier than normal but most major books do so by summer I think.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yes, sir. The only exception being off-shore books. 5Dimes has their live lines up. I'm guessing, but don't know for sure, that Bovado probably has their prop bets up but I doubt they have any lines on opening week.

A game like Notre Dame's (5Dimes has it at -10.5) will get bigger.) I suspect so will Ohio State and a few others.

5Dimes Lines: (click image to expand)

1.png

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

How bad/good is Maryland?

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

IF I had to, I'd take TX and the points today. There are several reasons but here's a few of note in my opinion.

Texas is returning all but one on defense next season. While Maryland is returning over half of their offense their breaking in a new QB and lost two of their top three receivers (accounted for roughly 40% of the TD's, receiving yards, and total catches.) Remember, this is a team that couldn't get it in the end zone last year against Ohio State or Michigan.

Here's what I really see as the key, Shane. While the 'Horns QB finished the '16 season with what we can only call as average performances (may be a little on the gracious side there) he is experienced and looking at a Maryland secondary that lost both corners and a safety.

Hell, now that I think about this ... their best performance last year was probably against Nebraska--in a loss--where they gave up around 30 as I recall.

I suspect a lot will go with Texas due to the Herman factor. It's not a game I'd pull the trigger on now because I suspect the public money will go to TX and the line will drop as the game approaches. By drop, I could see around 14 by kick-off, likely 14.5.

@CajunlostinCali There's ya a point to buy if it's listed at TX -14.5.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Spring games being televised? The line has moved to as much as 6.5 on Bama vs FSU.

tirk likes this.
  8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

I posted this link in another thread and thought of this comment while doing so.

Mississippi State is giving 4 to Ole Miss for the Egg Bowl. Six months and a case example of why people wager this far in advance.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I don't see anything there that tells me why its a good idea to bet on a game 6 months in advance. If I spot Ole Miss the 4 points now, I'm betting State won't have injuries to key players all season, or that the Rebs won't develop young talent, or simply go on a roll. I've essentially bet on two teams' entire seasons as they pertain to one game at the end of the year, before pre-season practice even starts.

10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It'll be a touchdown or more by the time the season comes around. It's a nice cushion to have three, four points you're sitting on.