God #1 Family #2

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Aug 17, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Well tell that to the tons of Christians who think you will be damned to hellfire if you do not worship Christ Jesus. Martin i have to give you props, because i feel the same way, if there is a God, he is a pretty rotten one. Kids are killed and raped daily, and God does nothing about it, that's no God i want to be affiliated with. Plus if there was a god don't you think the Saints would have won at least 1 Super Bowl?

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

right but christian god is specific. john 3:16 is about believing not only in god, but that jesus came to forgive your sins. and through jesus, this is the way to heaven. christianity is quite clear on this. without jesus, without believing his crap about sacrifice on the cross, no good.

thats cool. and i dont know exactly what you mean. but let me say one thing. i am sincere. i am not trying to be the smart guy who is too good for superstition. i genuinely cant believe in it. in the exact same way that you dont believe in santa claus. i know that is hard to believe, surely i must wonder if jesus is real or whatever. i dont. it is absurd and incomprehensibly ridiculous. jesus and the pope and apollo and thor, it is all the same to me. and i think it should be to everyone. i dunno why it isnt.

i think if you are truly honest with yourself, there is no other conclusion but to admit you are clueless. you dont know anything about god or if he exists or what he wants. you are just guessing. and it is really necessary to guess? isnt it good enough to just be?

3. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Then, I with all my Christian beliefs will burn in hell, because that is my belief in God.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

well i would give god a pass if he just dosent care or pay attention, he is a hand-off kinda guy, yunno, set it and forget it.

but christian god, that guy is bad. he slaughters folks, floods the world , 7 plagues, that kinda thing. bad news.

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

God made us to evolve and be free thinking. He is what you interpret him to be. The Bible is a guide and not to be taken in the literal sense. This of course is just me opinion.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

christian god, muslim god, jewish god, same god. alot of the events in the bible happen in the Qur'an also. Muslim's believe that the Qur'an is proof that there is a god, because mohammed basically went into a cave, and came out with the Qur'an, this was a man who couldn't read or write, but comes out with a book that rhymes? I think religion is fascinating, i love to read about different religions, but for me i just believe that many many years ago there was a big bang, which created all of the elements, and chemical reaction, after chemical reaction, here we are. the same matter that we contain, is also in stars, galaxies etc. Was there some great being that created that, who knows, but i agree it is illogical to assume based on faith. if i am wrong, maybe we can hook up in hell and listen to some good tunes together.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Yep

8. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

It would be wasting the board's collective time for me to remind you that Jesus is a person and many claim to have a relationship with that Person. We obviously hallucinated Him. :wave:

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

you act like the idea that folks are either hallucinating or lying to themselves or are simply crazy is so outlandish. long before christianity, people were having inimate relationships with any number of deities or half humans or whatever jesus is.

i actually know people who have gone to a seance and believe they contacted haunted houses and stuff. i dated a girl who thought she talked to a ghost. a good friend of mine believes she talked to a (non-jesus) spirit.

delusions are not some kinda rare crazy thing that you couldnt possibly have. in fact, i would say that fooling oneself about god is one of the most common and constant practices among humans for all of history.

having an imaginary friend that you genuinely believe is true is not some kinda proof. if it was, and these things that people claimed to talk to actually existed, there would be no space left in magicland for magic spirits and invisible sorcerers, being imagined furiously and constantly by all of humankind.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A few years ago police in Miami arrested a man who was running down the street naked and holding the severed head of his girlfriend. When questioned the man told police that "God told him to do it." Many people who claim to have spoken to or been contacted directly by God are simply crazy and totally delusional.

What would happen if a massive earthquake were just about to happen in India and God could stop it with a simple wave of His hand, but at the same time the Lakers were down by two points in game 7 of the NBA finals. Time has expired but a good christian player like Kobe Bryant was at the free throw line with two shots. Bryant makes the sign of the cross before shooting. What does God do? You make the call. On the one hand thousands of people will die and millions more will suffer. But those people are mostly Hindus and Muslims. On the other hand a christian is requesting God's help to save a game that is being watched by millions of christians on TV

OK, forget I used Kobe as an example. Lets say it was AC Green, the former Laker who said he was a virgin until he finally got married at the age of 38 because of his christian beliefs? God is all powerful. Shouldn't he be able to do both? I know that Superman could. Superman could leave his floor seat next to Jack Nicholson and fly to India, seal the fault line with his heat vision and then fly back to the Staples Center all at the speed of light in time to blow the ball into the hoop with a puff of his super breath, high 5 Jack Nicholson, fly back to India for a little damage control and then fly back and resume his seat as Clark Kent