God #1 Family #2

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Aug 17, 2009.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm glad that you admit that faith means a great deal more than "faith in God" and that Nietzsche's comment relates to all manner of faith.

If you think you can win, you can win. Faith is necessary to victory.' -- William Hazlitt

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.' -- Martin Luther King Jr.

"Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go much further than people with vastly superior talent.' -- Sophia Loren

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

oh yes i admit that context exists and that you ignore it. why are you talking about faith in a non-religious sense? what does that prove, we are talking about religious faith here, if you havent noticed.

have you ever even read nietzshe? do you know what he thinks of religion and faith? if you did you wouldnt be wasting your time.

what do you think you bring to discussion about religious faith when you invoke different unrelated meanings of the word faith? are you proud of your ability to be aware of different contexts that are not relevant to the discussion? you dont really think you are proving something by demonstrating that words have different consequences in different contexts, do you?

you dont honestly think you are making a point now, do you?

3. red55

You are. I am talking about faith itself and that it doesn't have to be all about religion. Faith is also an important philosophical concept unrelated to its religious connotation. Those too narrow-minded or wearing blinders to see the point can only be pitied.

Yes, I have and I also understand that he wrote about a great deal more than religion. Philosophy, morality, and science were also major Nietzsche subjects and he is concerned with a great deal more than the "God is Dead" quote that you have heard about.

Your failure to understand more than your own narrow interpretation is unfortunate, but not my problem. Look, This is free Speech Alley! I can make whatever points I want to here. You don't own the thread and you don't get to say what others might want to bring into the discussion. I'm addressing more people than you here. If you don't like my comments, then go find another thread.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

you are of course free to make dumb comments. i was simply explaining to you that if you want to make relevant points you have to understand words in context.

5. red55

You have to be broadminded enough to understand when somebody is trying to make another point.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i do understand that, but in context your point was merely meant to obfuscate the point.

religious faith, is noth the same as reason based expectation. we both know that, and we both know the difference. when neitzsche (holy christ his name is hard to spell) speaks of faith, he means belief in the absence of evidence. so lets accept his meaning and reflect upon that meaning. not go off on a tangent based on a non-contextual dictionary definition. lets try to have an understanding that is deeper than out ability to google word definitions.

there is of course a tendency to hate not knowing something. so the tendency is to accept any explnation we can get our hands on. this is a historical constant. and as time passes, each explanation is acknowledged as a myth, and most folks move on. but there can never be a vacuum there, human nature wont allow it. we will always fill our heads with dumb ideas. and since we cannot prove them, we conjure up this idea that faith is a laudable thing, like god will reward us for it. and this helps the meme along.

but of course this idea that faith is anything other than a way to justify a lie, this is crazy. and for the love of christ, dont point out again that faith also means expectations based on real evidence.

so, as i have said, i wish we would be consistent as a society, in terms of the way we treat ideas that are based on or opposed to the evidence. everyone seems to enjoy mocking the homeless man with the sign that says "the end is near". but we all keep quiet when the mainstream religion in this country believes that jesus will return for a rapture or whatever. and our tolerance of this stupidity perpetuates it. i think the time for honesty has come.

7. shaqazoolu

shaqazoolu Concentrated Awesome

There is something about martin taking the Lord's name in vain that makes me fear for my safety...like the universe is about to be torn in half by a cosmic disaster or alternate dimension or something.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

my god is a forgiving god. he lets me slide on these transgressions. in fact here are his top two attributes:

1. very forgiving.
    2. doesnt exist.

9. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Fixed.

10. red55

I eschew obfuscation. Irony permeates the droll verity of such an imputation from you. How propitious for us to inhabit Free Speech Alley where we may obfuscate until the bovines emigrate to the domicile.