Global Warming and Harvey

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Kikicaca, Aug 23, 2017.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Yeah, not sure why, but 3 bucks a pop will cut into the cravings soon enough.

And CA still sucks. Weather be dammed

2. HoopHound

HoopHound Veteran Member

True but the wheels have fallen off this scam.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Plano has become a Little California lately. Toyota's headquarters opened here in June, and the whole city is inundated. Home prices have skyrocketed here, too. I could make a killing by selling my house...but I couldn't afford to buy another one.

mancha likes this.
  4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Interesting. I think Houston was pretty popular at some point too. After Texas, Idaho and Nevada are the next spots Cali peeps are moving to.

What's the latest on the college rounds? I'm doing the same here with my oldest. Lots of visits, not a lot of likes. Taking the SAT this Saturday. I hope it's a 1-shot deal.

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

You have to be born and raised in Houston to like to live there.

6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

At this rate, property tax hikes will price me out of my home. Sad note, property tax reform failed to pass in both sessions this year. We would get to vote for anything over 4%. I can see how cities like Frisco, who favor Jerry Jones and his development plans, would want it to fail.

7. StaceyO

She liked both North Texas and Oklahoma State. She also wants to take a look at Arkansas and a smaller state school, Stephen F. Austin. She got her driver's license today, so the growing up is real. She can't wait to drive to school in the morning--and then go out with some friends for off-campus lunch.

8. StaceyO

Our property tax has gotten ridiculous, too.

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sell your house and move back to Louisiana. For what you get for your house you can buy a nice house here where the property taxes are low and still have money left over for your daughters educations.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Sounds like she's exploring options...that's awesome. I'd like to say what school my daughter has in her top 2 but.....I just can't. She is in the midst of her driving lessons, won't get her license until November. She's bummed because she's starting IB this year and they get guaranteed parking.....but you have to have a driver's license first. Lol.

Have you heard of an online program called Raise Me? Basically, it's a way for high school students to "bank" scholarship money for their activities in high school, rather than waiting until the end and trying to apply for scholarships. Each participating college assigns a dollar value (micro-scholarship) for different accomplishments over the course of high school and if/when the student goes to that school, the money is waiting. They can earn money for A's, B's, overall GPA, AP classes, SAT/ACT scores, leadership activities, sports, honor societies, Scouting, etc. Some schools offer upwards of $1k just for visiting a college campus and you did a bunch this summer! There are lots of private schools who participate but when you consider the money, it starts to look more affordable. So far, the university that has allowed my daughter to bank the most money is Wingate in North Carolina. It's probably not an option but so far through just 2 years of high school, she's got almost $50k waiting. Oklahoma has only allowed her to bank $850, Kentucky she's at $8.5k, and TCU she's at $12.2k.

With everything your daughter has accomplished, you should sign her up. There's really little to no risk other than college email spam and potentially, lots of reward.

Okay, I just checked and neither North Texas nor Stephen F are participating but for local comparison, I entered Houston Baptist and they are offering my daughter $41k.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017