Gigging Flounder

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Cajun Sensation, May 14, 2009.

1. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Some friends of mine and I used to go frog gigging quite often, usually when we were out shooting alligator gar with bow and arrow. Nothing much better than some big thick frog legs seasoned with Tony's or Tiger Dust and cooked in a light olive oil sauce in a skillet.
    Haven't been flounder gigging but damn do I love flounder, guess I'm going to have to make the tip down sometime and give it a try. To buy it in the store is just too friggen expensive, especially when their bountiful in the waters down there.

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Any floundering action happening over there these days CS? I have a couple free weekends in May and might bring the kids over.

3. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

Come on man. We'll need to plan it a few days in advance. Haven't been yet this season, but I've seen plenty of folk out there. Let's go!

4. KyleK

Sounds like a blast! I'll holla as soon as I can get a firm date.

5. Cajun Sensation

Long as it ain't windy or raining we can go.

6. KyleK

Cool. Gonna check w/ the kids. Softball, work, all that stuff. Probably a Fri nite is gonna work best.

7. Cajun Sensation

My girlfriend and I went pokin around last night....but as I suspected, the water was still a bit fresh from all of the rain the night before. Also a bit murky.

8. Cajun Sensation

Took the boy floundering on Sunday night. Conditions were perfect. No wind. Dead calm. The only thing is that there was about a half moon.....I guess that was just enough to keep them at bay because we didn't see not a one. We didn't even see a stinkin sting ray. Not sure what happened....I thought for sure that we'd get into them.

Maybe next time.....

9. KyleK

Im looking for a weekend w some moonlight. May has been a bust but I've got the itch!

10. Cajun Sensation

Although I hear conflicting opinions, my experience is that a quarter moon or less is the best time to go floundering. I've kept a bit of an almanac for the past few years basically just recording what the conditions were on the night that I went. I've found that the less of a moon, the better. I have heard others say the opposite. Some people say that the moon attracts the fish b/c they can see the silhouette of the bait fish, while I've heard others say that them rascals can see you coming when it's more than a quarter moon.