Getting the train back on the rails

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger420, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Tiger420

Tiger420 Sell crazy someplace else, all stocked up here.

So, that potentially really embarrassing loss that seemed lurking on the horizon raced from the distance and planted itself right in the middle of Tiger Stadium. You can start pointing fingers but you might as well jump on top of a turn table when you start directing blame because it is in all directions. We all know the issues. Seasoned talent: gone. Depth: gone. Offensive line: depleted. Defensive line: depleted. WR core: green. Special teams: still a mess. As I watched this team get pushed around on both sides of the ball last night the absence of developed talent reared it's ugly head all over the field. And it definitely starts on the lines. Troy controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and controlled the clock. Winning starts up front in the trenches and that's where LSU is hurting most. Not taking focus away from the glaring holes in other positions where the absence of play makers is painfully evident. We're converting players from other positions to fill gaps, using less motion, using more motion, playing freshmen all over the place and just scrambling to try and figure this whole situation out.

It kind of feels like this:

It is possible that LSU could go without a win for the remainder of the schedule. I can understand that logic. No one out here can confidently say that we are going to win an SEC game based on the Tigers' performance against less talented teams from smaller schools. Coach O is here and is likely here for at least another year. It just doesn't make sense to toss him and clear out the program less than one year into the change. Especially not when you consider the $18MM buyout. Besides, I'm not a "everything is horrible so lets toss it all in the dumpster and start over" kind of person.

So ... you've got what you got and it is what it is. Instead of a thread talking about hanging Alleva or firing the hometown coach, or shutting off the lights and skipping to Basketball season, lets talk about what we do now.

If you're the coach, how do you combat the deficiencies along the both lines? How do you overcome the lack of developed talent and leadership that we see in all phases? Do you go back to the drawing board? Do you reset the goals for this year? Start the long process of using each game, each week to develop this team for next year and beyond? What schemes do you employ? How do you use players differently? Come on Tiger Coaches ... how do you fit the square pegs into all the round holes?

Better get some coffee going ...

2. Bayou Tiger

Bayou Tiger Founding Member

I think you need to give the guy 3 yrs.

Rouxleaux, 65Grad and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Start by firing Alleva. The highly paid coaches should also coach commensurate to what they are being paid. This season is toast, but we can work for the future.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

And the 3rd depends on what you see in the 2nd, but there will definitely be a 2nd

LSU_4_LIFE and Bayou Tiger like this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Normally I would give 2 to 3 years and still might. But after that offensive debacle last night I am in the mind set of if the WR are not being utilized better next game he gets no support from me. My problem with this years team is we are not playing to our strength which is tall, talented and fast recievers. Start using Racey McMath and Manny Netherly they are also big fast recievers. The damm run game is not working. Throw Throw Throw run when we loosen them up. Our best rb is out, Williams is now hurt and we only have only 2 other backs that are average at best. Dont care if we have to suffer some interceptions and losses but start playing for the future. Of course if the team is playing half ass uninspired football for the rest of the year fire O.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    HalloweenRun and lsu-i-like like this.
  6. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

A lot of things in a program are fixable. Talent can be fixed. Scheme can be improved. You can even survive a few years of bad coaching.

You cannot fix a team that quits. That's the death knell. That is a fundamental breakdown that renders the other problems moot. LSU quit in November 2015 and has never been the same, and ultimately that was what got Miles a hair away from getting fired.

There is something very rotten in the team culture at LSU. I have no more of an idea what it is than the next guy, but there is something very wrong. At a time when LSU needed a culture change from the top down, Alleva handed us the status quo. That has to be changed immediately, you can't afford to wait 1 or 2 more years.

HalloweenRun, John Schwab and cul2969 like this.
  7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

ding, ding, ding

HalloweenRun likes this.
  8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

As always, great post. I prefer the looking forward, positive, solution oriented approach, too.

If I were Oeaux, the first thing I'd do today is sit down with Ensminger and convince him to assume the OC position again. His style seemed to fit our offense better. If we sustain some drives, and score some points early, the D is not getting gassed late in the game. We paid Canada 1.5 million, but I'd cut our losses at this point, or at least demote him until we get his brand of recruits in and then try giving him another chance down the road. Ensminger won't want the position forever, but he can bridge an extended gap. It would send a message from Oeaux that he's serious about winning, and winning now, and that no one is above that goal, not even a new hotshot OC.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  9. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Canada is the oc and will be. The problem is grimes or les or both. Virtually every problem on this team from an on the field perspective begins with the o line

lsu-i-like likes this.
  10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I bought a carton of milk this morning; there was a picture of Dee Anderson on the side.