Get a Glock, Get a Glock,

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Nov 21, 2012.

1. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Anyone can conceal just about any size weapon. Just depends on the weigh and bulk you want to tote. An in or out of the waistband holster will cover just fine with a loose fitting shirt or jacket. But then, I don't like a holster. I have a small 38 air light hammerless S&W in a pocket holster. Doesn't print at all. Only 5 shots but takes care of anything up close and personal. There are lots of purses for women with secret compartments for weapons.

And Tiga, glocks are quite reliable, easy to clean, break down into just about 33 parts. But they don't come close to the sweet trigger pull of a Sig. I'm far more accurate with my Sigs. Course I'm even more accurate with my 45 Browning Kobra. It's a well chisled 1911.

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i have a nice ralph lauren purse that has a compartment that fits my 17 perfectly. however, i would still like something small. i'm thinking a single stack 9mm which rules out the baby glock. i really need to just look and find what fits my hand and has a good grip feel, get something that is reliable (not a cheap pos) and make sure my next purchase fits me well in all aspects. then practice out the wazoo with it since it will have recoil.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Try out the .380 pocket pistols, too. It's a 9mm bullet, just with less propellant and less recoil. In Europe, they call it 9mm Kurtz (short).

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I don't doubt that but if the time comes that I must pull that trigger I won't be looking for "sweet".

5. LSUTiga

Or you can shoot .38 ammo in that .357. Overpenetration and .38 have never been used in the same sentence.

I think overpenetration was a reason cops went from 9mm to .40's back at the turn of the century.

There is a delicate balancing act between the need for sufficient penetration and the need to eliminate dangerous overpenetration. The bullet must penetrate deeply enough to reach vital organs. It must get through muscle, bone, fat, clothing, etc. The FBI protocol calls for 12-18" of penetration. This can be including the thickness of an arm, too, as in a shot from the side.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

and there is the ticket. if i ever have to stop someone, i want what goes into em being dug out of them. a 9mm with hpj should work just fine. i know that for something small to carry, 380 is the least i would go with. there are a lot of reasons for, and some against a small 9mm. i havent ruled out a 380. but i would like a 9mm. i have worked on my grip and have much more stability and less hand fatigue with my 17 so that gives me hope. i need to go to a range that has a good selection of rentals and fire a few different compact sizes and get a better idea of what feels good and then take it from there.

LSUTiga likes this.
  7. LSUTiga

The size of the 380 tempts me but I can't bring myself to be comfortable with that caliber; however, I know most people run when they see/hear a gun so anything would be better than nothing.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Just realize that you are not going to be shooting at someone over 20 feet away with a pistol for the most part. Greater power does not make a pistol more accurate. You'd need a .357 to shoot someone through a car door or drywall, but most self-defense situations will be face to face at short range. If an armed perp is more than 20 feet away, you are better off running for cover than trying to hit him.

9. LSUTiga

I agree. It's just more about punching holes in a perp in my opinion.

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Dude, if you buy a .380 I'm going to send you a tube of vagisil and a box of midol. I can throw a rock harder than a damn .380

Fishhead, fanatic and LSUTiga like this.