Get a Glock, Get a Glock,

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Nov 21, 2012.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

GET A GLOCK.

Got me a Glock 19. May move up to a 23 later but not sold on the 40 caliber > 9mm at this point. Plus, it's my first semi-automatic pistol and I don't have much experience shooting pistols so I may grow into a 40 being it has more recoil.

Any glock owners here?

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Had one, gave it to my best friend. It was an awesome gun, it was just obvious that he loved it a lot more than I ever could :)

3. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

40 cal is where its at my friend.

gyver and shane0911 like this.
  4. LSUTiga

Is it really? I'm honestly not sure. The unexpanded diameter of a .40 S&W is less than 5 hundredths of an inch greater than a 9mm.

Serious question. How can such a small difference in bullet diameter be all that?

9mm = 0.355 in vs. .40 caliber = 0.4

5. KyleK

Very little difference. Both will kill you just fine.

Federal 9mm 124 grain Hydra-Shock JHP:

Velocity at:
    0 yards 1120 fps
    25 yards 1070 fps
    50 yard 1028 fps
    75 yards 993 fps
    100 yards 961 fps

Energy ( ft. lbs.)
    0 yards: 345 ft lbs
    25 yards: 316 ft lbs
    50 yards: 291 ft lbs
    75 yards: 271 ft lbs
    100 yards: 255 ft lbs

Trajectory/ Drop:
    25 yards: zero'd
    50 yards: 1.0"
    75 yards: 4.0"
    100 yards: 9.3"

Federal .40 S&W 165 grain Hydra-Shock JHP:

Velocity at:
    0 yards 980 fps
    25 yards 950 fps
    50 yard 924 fps
    75 yards 899 fps
    100 yards 876 fps

Energy ( ft. lbs.)
    0 yards: 352 ft lbs
    25 yards: 331 ft lbs
    50 yards: 312 ft lbs
    75 yards: 296 ft lbs
    100 yards: 281 ft lbs

Trajectory/ Drop:
    25 yards: zero'd
    50 yards: 1.5"
    75 yards: 5.6"
    100 yards: 12.3"

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/handgun.aspx

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It doesn't. The amount of propellant is the difference. Take a .22 and .223 for instance. Both have the same caliber, but the M-16 round has a hell of lot more propellant.

Glocks have a hell of a reputation, but they seem bulky to me.

7. KyleK

Propellant and mass of the bullet.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

yes. glock 17 9mm, gen 4. perfect gun for me.

after having a few cop friends tell me for a year i need to try a 9mm, i tried the glock a couple of weeks ago. i knew on trying it out that it just felt "right" for my hands. i got one last week and am in love with it. i worked with it yesterday and it didnt take long at all to get used to. i figured it would take a bit of getting used to the feel, but it was comfortable and easy to adjust to with the very first magazine.

after having so many hand surgeries, all i could carry for a few years was a .22 (s &w) pistol. damned accurate with it, but all it would do to a meth head is piss him off. last winter i still couldnt even hold a pen and write without pain, much less carry my .38. the 9mm gives me the stopping power without the kick of my .38. the good news is my hand strength has increased where i can shoot my .38 again. but my shots are still more scattered on the target than i would like. so it will be a back up, and the glock will be my primary. (although i do hope with practice and increasing hand strength i can get back my proficiency with the .38.) for recoil it seems to be betweem the two so very easy to handle and compensate for the little bit of kick it gives my weak hands.

after just a couple of magazines it was easy to adjust my shooting to get a tighter target pattern. i have small hands and it is not too bulky for me and even tho not heavy (which would pull on my wrist ligaments) still very controllable. and a 17 shot magazine is more comforting than my 6 shot .38 should i need it in self defense.

it is a nice weapon and after spending an afternoon with it, i can understand the popularity. another plus for the glock is fewer parts than most pistols so easy maintenance.

i know people in law enforcement that carry this same model on duty. i figure if it is good enough for them, with good ppa, it is good enough for me to use for personal protection.

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

I used to have a glock 23 and loved it but I shot a lot and it had a ton of recoil, so I got a XD. Found it to be more comfortable to shoot.

10. LSUTiga

THAT was my only reservation cause they are. I held it and it felt okay. I guess not having much experience with pistols, I didn't know what I was missing.

I got a gen 3. I read where the gen 4 improvement was "better" on the .40 caliber with the recoil issue. I may have made a mistake. Not sure since I've never shot a gen 4.

Above all else, THAT was what, in the end, made me go with the glock.

Bullets are definitely cheaper and another reason many go with the 9mm. Theoretically, one should practice more if ammo is cheaper.

Palmetto State Armory has Independence rounds for 8.99/50 round box. 5 boxes is the most you can have with $7 shipping. 11 boxes is the most with $11 shipping. 17 boxes is the most you can have with $15 dollar shipping.

If you order, try ordering at one of those quantities to lessen the shipping cost per box. I got this from another site and see they're temporarily out of stock but you can keep it handy.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/independence-9mm-115gr-fmj.html