Fried Turkey Recipes

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by khounba, Nov 18, 2008.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I stuff mine with french fries

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

The only problem I have with smoked and fried turkeys is...no pan drippings to make real gravy with.

I do love smoked and fried turkeys, but I always have an oven roasted one as well.

Be real careful frying those things. They have to be thawed and dried with paper towels inside and out. I've seen one of my neighbors start a huge fire in their carport...melted the siding and almost caught the whole house on fire.

That was real scary. Even for me who's seen more kitchen/stove fires than most people.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I fried one using hog fat instead of peanut oil. Great taste but not if you're a health nut

4. stevescookin

5. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

from Frank's recipe:

That's gonna be one well done turkey. I take mine out at around 155deg. It will keep cooking to 160-165, which is plenty done. If you take it out at an internal of 180, it will finish at 190. Way overdone in my book.

6. stevescookin

You're right Kyle...168/169 degrees id the proper internal temp for Poultry. The internal temp keeps rising up to about 10 more degrees because the outer layers of food are hotter than the most internal portions...so the heat from the outside move inwards (equilibration). This is called the latent heat of cooking.

That bird's butt is fried hotter than Gary Crowton on the hot seat at 155 degrees. :hihi:.