Fresh Caught Fried Fish Recipes

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Mr. Peabody, Jul 6, 2008.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Simple and effective. I like a big shake of Tony's in the meal. I have a friend who uses garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne and it's pretty good, too.

2. Lprimo

Lprimo Pimpin Aint Easy

Louisiana Hot Sauce and Mustard or Honey Mustard with Zatarain's Crispy Southern Fish Fri, Veron's season all, or Tony's.

Once the fillets are cleaned...pat them dry with paper towels, remove all water. In a large bowl, coat fillets with mustard and hotsauce. Remove from bowl in batch size portions to fry, add to Cajun batter bowl with fish fry. Before coating or shaking, add Tony's or your favorite seasoning. Shake on Fish Fry, and drop in oil.
    Also try Mushroom's with same process, and you'll will be amazed at the taste.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dang. I was searching for an egg wash recipe just for a change and realized the corn flour is what I used in the past with a touch of flour.

I picked up some Zat's and Louisiana to mix with flour. The La. fish fry seems very course. Anxious to see how it turns out.

Usually beat some eggs and milk but like the mustard and roll in Zat's idea.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Whatever happened to Mr. Peabody?

5. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

He got stuck in the Wayback Machine? :grin:

6. LSUTiga

Okay we did an experiment. I realize these responses were to catfish but gave it a try with white perch.

One way was coated with mustard, seasoned then rolled in fish fry. Other way was egg wash with milk, red pepper, black pepper and salt then into the fish fry.

Hands down egg wash first produced a more uniform coating/batter and color. Also everyone thought it tasted better.

7. LSUTiga

A spider got him in his garage.

8. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

Fried Fish - Cooking Louisiana

I love this guys passion for flying fish.
    Another cool piece of cooking trivia is the Canadian method. Regardless of how you cook the fish-bake, grill, fry-you cook the fish for 10 minutes per inch of thickness. So if your fillet is just an inch you cook it for 10 minutes. I have used this for years and it hasn't ever failed me. Most people don't believe it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cordelia

Cordelia Founding Member

flying fish.

Uhm, I meant frying fish.