Fournette out for Citrus Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Dec 16, 2016.

1. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

It sure takes the luster off the otherwise stellar image of LF7 by signing before the team's last game. What was the hurry? I hope he was not pressured into a quick signing for a nefarious purpose. OBTW, no issue with not playing given his lingering ankle injury this season.

StaceyO likes this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I don't understand; if he can provide a lavish Christmas for his baby and family now, that would be hard to pass up.

Winston1 likes this.
  3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

The other side of that coin is what if they're the superstars they're destined to be and make a ton of money playing sports. Then they retire and while they will probably live comfortably, then what? The appeal isn't to hang with Jay and LeBron. They don't need them as agents for that. The appeal is to get you positioned with the people that will allow you to live out your non-sports dreams. LeBron and is entourage, despite what Phil thinks of them, are branching out into all sorts of avenues. Movies, television shows, commercial real estate, marketing and promotions, etc. Things that you don't expect a young, black athlete to have interest in, much less be successful.

That's the issue some of these guys have with agents like Condon and Rosenhaus. They're awesome agents and will get you all the sports money in the world. They'll do an awesome job with endorsements from Nike and Gatorade. If that's all you want, which consists of the majority, then fine. But when it comes to diversification, it's clothing lines, liquor, and record labels. Bullshit you would expect young, black athletes to participate in because that's what's been done in the past. I'd argue the same for non-black athletes honestly, because for every Scottie Pippen, there's a Lynn Dykstra and Curt Schilling who made shitty investments.

I'm not saying everything is squeaky clean at Roc Nation. I don't know that part. I do know that he and his cohorts are helping these guys outside of sports and endorsements achieve the unconventional. And we all know how much Leonard wants to do for New Orleans so I would imagine there's a vision being developed for that.

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I hate the move because now it has started an avalanche of other declaring guys not playing in their games, either. Of course, I also hate when NFL teams have wrapped up their playoff spots and start sitting their starters, conceding games and losing "to not get injured."

That is not what sports are about...except now, apparently, it is.

Now, in Fournette's case, he's been injured off and on all year. The other guys sitting out the bowls are truly chicken shit, but Fournette opened the door, and he's getting roasted for it up here in Dallas on sports radio. I don't know how he's being regarded elsewhere.

That being said, I don't think that LSU is hurt by Fournette not playing. Guice has got this, and he's been the superior back this year. It just sets a precedent that is a slippery slope for college football. However, there is a deeper issue with Fournette not traveling to A & M and not traveling to the bowl game. That is disappointing.

kcal, didit and Rouxleaux like this.
  5. $TigerFan$

$TigerFan$ Father of CajinKid

^^ He is not well thought of here in Tennessee either @StaceyO . They are calling him entitled, and say he is using the system instead of giving back to the university that gave him so much. Of course he started out wrong with the Heisman pose, then never even getting invited to NY. He is looked at as a flop and only hyped because Miles did a pr job on him. We know better, but I wish things would have turned out better for him because he is a good young man and in no way is as they describe. He is a great Tiger in my book and was not utilized properly due to our coaching and play calling woes. With a better coach at the helm he may be sitting with a couple of Heisman trophies right now!

furduknfish likes this.
  6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What I want to know is why they were allowed on campus and practice around Ben Simmons. Agents shouldn't be allowed on any college campus.

furduknfish and $TigerFan$ like this.
  7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Cough, Kardashians...

shane0911 and GiantDuckFan like this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

We should all just be lucky the kid didnt pick bama.

furduknfish likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

They would all kill to have him toting the rock in Tennessee. I just hope for his sake he gets drafted by a team with a good O line. Zeke Elliot can talk all the noise he wants but he would be just another decent rookie if 28 other teams would have taken him. He got lucky being drafted by the team with the best O line in the NFL.

$TigerFan$ likes this.
  10. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

No offense, but I would wager he could do that if he played every down, both offense and defense, at the Citrus Bowl.