FORE!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Don Castavez, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Golf is the only sport where just when you think you've got something down they change the playing field on you.

TerryP and shane0911 like this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

No shit, ran into a pro this week and he was nice enough to let me know I was doing literally everything all wrong. Now I'm trying to reinvent my damn swing and this could get ugly fast.

TerryP and Bengal B like this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Golf is not like baseball. Good hitters have all kinds of different swings and stances at the plate. Only thing that matters is can you hit.

4. shane0911

When this guy was telling me what to do I looked at him and said "Naw, you don't want me to swing like Jim Furyk do you" Guy stopped dead and looked at me and said "You do know he is one of the best ball strikers on tour and he has a private plane that he takes wherever he wants to go, are you really going to bitch about his swing"

I just shut up and said lets go teach, show me the way.

5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

@shane0911 be careful of listening to casual advice no matter who it’s from. If you want to refine your swing take lessons from a pro you get good recommendations about and practice between lessons. Only with consistent input can you change your swing.
    I had the good fortune to do that and dropped my handicap from 20 to 8 in a summer. I also was able maintain the swing when I essentially quit for years.

COTiger likes this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

No kidding. I used to be able to draw everything....I could draw a 2-wood on command like nobody's business. Then I went to watch the pros play in NOLA, and had my swing photographed in one of those booths that takes about 6 pictures of your swing. I showed it to someone who should know about the basics of the golf swing, he made a few comments....and I totally lost my ability to draw the ball. The person who screwed me up? Lee Trevino

kcal, Bengal B, Winston1 and 2 others like this.
  7. shane0911

These were things that needed fixed, like hitting behind the ball. Irons were so inconsistent and driving me crazy. Not releasing the club with my driver and hand position at impact.

Basically gonna be a lot of range balls in my future which is ok if it gets me playing better golf which is the objective

8. shane0911

Tiger looking more and more like me out there every tournament.

He straight up sucks, we are going opposite directions.

9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

I echo what Winston said about taking advice. I do have one suggestion about your hitting behind the ball with your irons. Have you tried adjusting the ball position in your stance. You might have the ball too far forward. Just a tip to try on the range.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

That little bugaboo has been a thorn in my side since the day I picked up a club. I'm sure I will get past it one day

Oh and the guy I talked to is a Golf Digest best instructor, he has some clout